Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just had a new roof installed using Certainteed Grand Manor shingles. Our house was built in '35, so this was a replacement for a deteriorating slate roof. When we went up into the attic, we noticed that many nails go well through the boards under the roof, in some cases more than two inches. However, this varies a lot, in some cases the nails do not go through at all. What is the standard for nail length? The effect of the nails poking through is that it is now a bit dangerous to walk up in our attic. I also worry, will this cause leaks? They used 30 pound paper.

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
theyre only too long if you dont like them. Manufacturer specification and common sense dictate the nails penetrate the roof deck whenver possible.

As far as dangerous, the old nails were also through the roof deck, I am sure. It has to be this way...be careful.

Why would you inset your head between the rafters anyways?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Code requirements in my area are "fasteners must be imbedded 3/4" or penetrate the roof deck". Unless you have a 2x? roof deck, you will always see the nail tips in the attic if the roof is installed properly.
Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts