Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Adding 1/2'' ply over 3/4'' ply. Floor joist 24''oc. About 16 sheets.

I know I could screw it off, but thought nailing would be faster.

Screw/nail pattern. 12''oc ?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Adding 1/2'' ply over 3/4'' ply. Floor joist 24''oc. About 16 sheets.

I know I could screw it off, but thought nailing would be faster.

Screw/nail pattern. 12''oc ?
if the joists are 24" oc, why would you put screws 12" oc? half of them are gonna miss the joists? you don't wanna do that

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
Heres a thought.. If you use glue and 1 1/4" screws would that suffice? Does it matter that the screws from the second layer go into the framing ?

Curious.. has any threw down a few screws to suck the sheet down and Glue and finished off with 11/4"- 1/4" crown staples?

Really the glue does most of the work..

What's the additional layer for ?

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,486 Posts
if the joists are 24" oc, why would you put screws 12" oc? half of them are gonna miss the joists? you don't wanna do that
Maybe I'm just an idiot, but I'd glue and screw, with 3" into the joists, and 1 1/4" in the field for extra holding power, and to help eliminate squeaks. I dread call backs for squeaks. Far easier to overdo it at the beginning, in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I think if you have screws in the field not into the framing what's gonna keep them from popping out when the floor moves? you don't want nail/screw pops especially if there's gonna be tile on top

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,486 Posts
I think if you have screws in the field not into the framing what's gonna keep them from popping out when the floor moves? you don't want nail/screw pops especially if there's gonna be tile on top
Good point. Personally, I would never nail a sub-floor.

With glue and screws, and the holding power of 3/4" ply, I would feel safe. But I could be wrong, it's happened before.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I thought the idea was to avoid the joists so you don't break the glue bond when you screw.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts