Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What nail gun and nail type(brand and size) do you guys use for putting up fence boards?

Some have told me they use 2" framing nails in whatever gun, but given that the boards are 1/2" and the framing is usually 1 1/2", that doesn't leave anything for countersinking.

I've heard siding and roofing nailers can be used, but I'm not sure what nails to then use.

And I know, they should be screwed, blah blah blah. Just answer the question!;)

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
I never use screws...

Just use the 2" galvanized nails and angle them slightly - you'll be fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate it (and other opinions as well please).

Decksetc - I noticed you said in an old thread that you used to contract out your hole digging and post-setting. How much did that cost per hole? I'm in Canada as well, and have something coming up that I would prefer to have someone else do the digging for.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I use stainless steel ring shank nails. They're a little more expensive, but they hold real well and don't bleed.

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
I appreciate it (and other opinions as well please).

Decksetc - I noticed you said in an old thread that you used to contract out your hole digging and post-setting. How much did that cost per hole? I'm in Canada as well, and have something coming up that I would prefer to have someone else do the digging for.
The contracting out post holes, etc. is something I haven't done in a few years. I have my own Bobcat MT52 now and do everything myself.

What area of Canada are you in? For example, if you're in Vancouver there's no way I could tell you what to expect to pay.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
use pl premium as well, will lessen the chance of the nails working loose

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
Learnin from this thread. I have a fence job scheduled and started. Already dug posts, ran mason line etc., thanx.

·
Cabinetmaker
672 Posts
I dont do fences but I have a PC coil250 that shoots 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 siding nails. HD galv fasteners and a 100 or so nails per coil. I like it. Use if for sheathing. Run 1/2 cdx like it was paper

1 - 11 of 11 Posts