Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For installing standard crown into plaster walls & ceiling, what nails are you guys using? I just pulled some down and they had only long 18 gauge nails. No breaks in the plaster, either, so maybe that's the proper way to go?

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Since all trim (base, casing, crown) used to be hand nailed with 4's to 10's in size, I can't imagine where the size of gun shot would be an issue. Assuming it's painted, it gets caulked , & caulk ends up holding as much or more than nails anyway.

I see more and more guys using 18's to nail all sorts of trim these days, where 25 years ago most used #15 ga senco shots. The difference is in the caulk used. Todays caulks are also excellent adhesives!
Joe

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since all trim (base, casing, crown) used to be hand nailed with 4's to 10's in size, I can't imagine where the size of gun shot would be an issue. Assuming it's painted, it gets caulked , & caulk ends up holding as much or more than nails anyway.

I see more and more guys using 18's to nail all sorts of trim these days, where 25 years ago most used #15 ga senco shots. The difference is in the caulk used. Todays caulks are also excellent adhesives!
Joe
Thanks. The crown is not original. I pulled it down to replace the sagging ceiling, and will reinstall the same. The plaster is brittle, so I was just wondering. I'll use my 15 ga as planned...or maybe my 16 ga angled, come to think of it. :)

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I use 18g a lot depending on the conditions and trim.2" and always hit plate and studs.In bad conditions I go to my 15g Senco.Never had a problem.
I really miss the old days when we had to hand bang them up on old plaster and had plaster falling out everywhere. :no:

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
Add wood behind it and nail your crown to it as usual... we do this all the time on plaster walls and the job is always superb... not to mention crown doesn't get messed up from nails nails that hit something and don't go in marin up the wood, etc.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Add wood behind it and nail your crown to it as usual... we do this all the time on plaster walls and the job is always superb... not to mention crown doesn't get messed up from nails nails that hit something and don't go in marin up the wood, etc.

Exactly what to do if you have any doubts. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't imagine where the size of gun shot would be an issue.
When I removed the crown, I noticed the thin nails (18 ga) had nice "grab" even in the plaster, and even when not into studs. So that, plus caulk, had held it up there pretty well. Anyway, it's done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts