Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
installing a railing, two newel posts, 28 balusters, and a bottom piece on each tread, and a "wrap around" bit for the risers. (return tread?)

On top of carpet! then don't want me to cut away the carpet for this, so its going to go on top. Was wondering though, the bottom piece (not sure of the name) its a sort of "wrap around" bit of tread, it covers the edge of the actual tread which is flush with the exposed wall? ie: there's a hall way at the bottom, so no wall other than some gyproc covering the risers. (wall on the right going up)

anyway can't decide to pin the bottom false treads with four 15 gauge pins, or use a couple of 2 1/2" screws, then bondo over the screw holes. The HO is having this painted a solid color, and the material is hemlock.

thx

Laurie

www.lauriescustomfinishing.ca

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
well I tried again, but the HO didn't want to have the carpet removed. So I used 3" screws, and screwed the false treads down- tight! getting them level in two directions was a bit of a b$%ch, but this was a T&M job. 34 hrs at 50 per :) includes driving to the supplier to get materials.

all done!

Attachments

·
Pro
681 Posts
Your work looks good but I don't like the details. I hope they never decide to replace the carpet, it will be a PITA.

Bill

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Couldn't figure out what you meant
in the OP.
Now I see why.
Looks great.
The HO's are nuts.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Reminds me of the kids that put $2,000 worth of chrome rims on a $500 piece of crap car.
For the extra time/money it took for you to deal with the carpet, the HO could have paid for new carpet to be installed after you were done.
This is a job I would have refused to do "their way".

·
Uber-Member
327 Posts
Like others have said, craftsmanship looks good......but thats about it. I would have thrown up a little bit while doing that.

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya, I was pretty stressed about that carpet. It took way longer than usual to level those false treads - not gonna do that again. Like you say, refuse!
Replacing that carpet will be a royal B***h.

He had a couple of guys from HD there, they were doing the baseboards - apparently they put down the stair carpet for them before I arrived.

sigh....

what the heck, they are nice folks, and they love the work :) its gonna be painted a solid color.

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
ya, I was pretty stressed about that carpet. It took way longer than usual to level those false treads - not gonna do that again. Like you say, refuse!
Replacing that carpet will be a royal B***h.

He had a couple of guys from HD there, they were doing the baseboards - apparently they put down the stair carpet for them before I arrived.

sigh....

what the heck, they are nice folks, and they love the work :) its gonna be painted a solid color.
They are painting it on top of all this? There really is no accounting for taste.

Looks good, I think I would have pulled out (what's left of) my hair attempting to level and square the "false treads" on top of carpet....

·
Registered
56 Posts
So the carpet is brand new, that explains their stubbornness.
Sounds like they should have hired a good GC to get the order of operations right.

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ya I don't know how the painter is going to do a good job, with the false treads squished down tight into the carpet - he saw it "apparently" and its not gonna be a problem. well it'd sure be a problem for me! but then I'm not a painter. I did offer to wait a week so he could paint the parts, but ?? I hate to screw over the other trades.

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wow.... that is very silly.

They wanted the carpet on the side like that? :laughing:
yup, no way it'll meet code! 4th floor condo in New Westminster, had to rope the 16' handrail up over the balcony 35'. spacing I got at 3 3/8" between balusters, but the height is too low- 34" should be at least 36" - HO's insisted on this height, as it was "comfortable" for them. :D

that and the carpet- oy! like Dairylander said, it'd probably been cheaper for them to pay the carpet (baseboard?) guys to remove the carpet rather than pay me the extra time to try to level each false tread.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You did nice wood work like that over crap carpet then they are gunna paint it they are fuc$'n nuts. That is like buying a new Cadallac with a $7,000 paint job and going down to Rona and buying some spray can's to paint it with rock guard proctant. They may have been nice but were not to bright

1 - 20 of 22 Posts