Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I demoed a kitchen awhile back & decided it would look better at my house. So I kept the cabinetry/countertop.

Heres the new stuff (stored in garage for now) :

Property Room Furniture Floor Tile

It's going on this bare wall:

Property Room Floor House Flooring

and the current setup:

Property Room Furniture Kitchen Building

We are also going to lay new vinyl on the floor. I promised the misses a new kitchen before the road trip. So times a ticking, hehe.

Figured I would start a thread in case something stupid happens along the way.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I demoed a kitchen awhile back & decided it would look better at my house. So I kept the cabinetry/countertop.

Heres the new stuff (stored in garage for now) :

View attachment 105168

It's going on this bare wall:

View attachment 105169

and the current setup:

View attachment 105170

We are also going to lay new vinyl on the floor. I promised the misses a new kitchen before the road trip. So times a ticking, hehe.

Figured I would start a thread in case something stupid happens along the way.
Looks like an awesome project. I can't wait to see what kind of stupid stuff happens along the way..JK :laughing:

What kind of countertops and cabinets are you planning on?

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The countertop will be bleach white "corian". When we went for removal the GC lifted up on a corner and cracked it. So he gave me the whole kitchen. Eventually, I'll have a certified tech come reglue it back together.

Cabinets are custom made. Since we had to demo the sink basin cabinet, I will have to fabricate a new one to match the rest.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Property Floor Room Tile Flooring

Cat Floor

So far the demo has gone well. Love peeling back the layers of time...

Tile Wall Floor Room Wood

I thought for sure the walls were going be horrible. Other than some surface mold from a bad caulk job, & an obvious roach infestation in the past.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
The countertop will be bleach white "corian". When we went for removal the GC lifted up on a corner and cracked it. So he gave me the whole kitchen. Eventually, I'll have a certified tech come reglue it back together.

Cabinets are custom made. Since we had to demo the sink basin cabinet, I will have to fabricate a new one to match the rest.
Is it going to fit across that back wall? Looks as if you have room on the right to turn the corner.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
According to paper measurements no I cant keep the whole "U" shape. But sometimes the tape lies (not often though). So I roughed the cabs in place as if we were going to try the u design. Mostly to fantasize, but alas, the tape didn't lie :(

Shelf Ceiling Wall Room Wood

Product Room Furniture Floor

Major appliance Washing machine Property Room Home appliance

Property Room Major appliance Floor Furniture

My only peeve is that the sink will not be aligned to the window. Regardless of which wall we use. But hey, as long as the customer (my wife this time) doesn't mind, neither do I haha

The overall layout will be an L shape. Mainly for 2 reasons: door clearance & the corian is cracked right after the dishwasher.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That was my thinking for the summer. Install a much wider window.

The electrician will be by tomorow to move the boxes, & I'm taking care of the plumbing.

Had to buy a freaking $30 diamond blade today to cut the corian. I hate buying something I will only use once in a lifetime.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
That was my thinking for the summer. Install a much wider window.

The electrician will be by tomorow to move the boxes, & I'm taking care of the plumbing.

Had to buy a freaking $30 diamond blade today to cut the corian. I hate buying something I will only use once in a lifetime.
You don't need a diamond blade to cut corian . A sharp carbide blade will work . If you need a better cut you can follow up with a straight cut router bit, carbide also .

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well... it was diamond dust smooth blade to be fair. After this summers tile incident, I figured I would go ahead and get a diamond dust smooth blade in case I ever run into tile again. I probably never will, but who knows.

I just need a functional kitchen until summer.

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Room Property Furniture Sink Floor

dry fit the countertop and did all the plumbing today. Still waiting on my sparky to come hook up electrical. The wires had no slack, so I'll let him deal with that.

Once he is done I'll chop the counter, and patch the holes. Then it will be on to creating a custom sink basin.

·
Contractor
4,761 Posts
guess you will take care of the header work for the window in the summer? Sure would be nice to get it all over with since you're making a mess now....Guess the weather may have a say

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, i'm holding off on that due to weather. January is my slow month so I figured on doing a majority of it while I am down.

Unfortunately the flu set me back a couple days.

But the good nrws is I finally got the dishwasher/ all plumbing/ electrical done.

Had to route the drain through 3 joists. It only took 1 bit per joist. The drill would bind and bend the bit. After that battle, it was on to plumbing in the dishwasher from hell. Theres another 6 trips to depot. 3 for defective valves. Then when i gave up I cross threaded the cpvc connection 3 more times.

I have never fought so hard to install a dishwasher. The wife joked that was gods way of saying I can't have one. I said i dont care how many trips it takes, we WILL have a dishwasher haha.

Now I am building the sink basin cabinet. Since I dont want my tenants under the sink, I am doing a sealed front. It will still be accesible to the maint guy though.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
CarpenterSFO said:
I've never seen that or heard of it. Is that common in some places?
I've never heard or that either, I like the idea though. At our lake house we have nice looking locks on some of the cabinets so we can keep stuff in them when we rent it out. I might start doing that

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just from my personal experience. When a tenant clogs a drain, i want maintenance to unclog it. Tenants will traditionally unhook the p trap & do 1 of 2 things:

1: leave it unhooked
2: reassemble it incorrectly, using duct tape or glue

My solution is to place a "drip pan" under the sink that will funnel water out to the floor away from the cabinets. This way, if a leak happens it is obvious to the tenants & they will make the call. The more I can discourage tenant repairs the better.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts