Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Carpe Diem
20,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a foreclosure last summer and it needs work. We were tired of the almost useless kitchen but couldn't afford to completely redo it yet. The remodel will be extensive so in the mean time, I slapped this together last week while the woman was visiting her mom. The original design was only the light-colored maple cabinets. There were no usable uppers either. I stopped by a discount outlet and picked up these random cabinets.
I thought about painting them all the same color but that wouldn't take away from the fact that they look different too :laughing:
Original had a freestanding oven on the left and the fridge to the right. I HATE having frigs next to adjoining walls. I know this is all mismatched but it's SO much better than what we had. It all works and we have decent storage now. This entire project, with the addition of 4 6" recessed cans cost me less than $1000 (appliances too). I still can't wait for the real remodel to begin...

Attachments

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,455 Posts
6 years later those cabinets are still going to be hanging. :laughing:

·
Carpe Diem
20,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just call it a mini showroom - wait a sec, where's the sink?
Island on the other side. I didn't bother touching that other than putting a new sink in and dishwasher. The original sink was so dirty, I didn't want to attempt cleaning it.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,455 Posts
Man, that's a wham bam thank you ma'am kitchen if I ever saw one....

·
Carpe Diem
20,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Man, that's a wham bam thank you ma'am kitchen if I ever saw one....
You got that right. I hated putting any "temp" money into it but it was just so screwed up from the beginning. How did the builder think it was OK to not install any decent uppers? There were 2 9" uppers on either side of the window and that was it. Seriously? Keeping our dishes and cups in lower cabinets is not an option.

Chris, you know how home projects go....huh? :laughing:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts