Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't get a chance to do a lot of stone work, and the opportunity came up last fall for a small veneer job and some pillars.

The original plan was 4" bed, but they changed it to 2" and the guys that quarry couldn't snap it any bigger than 2.5 inches. So it went from a stone veneer to blue brick basically.

Add to that the fact that there was no brick ledge when i showed up and things got interesting. They wanted to use angle iron anchored into the wall, which was fine by me since it was under 18" tall and the weight of the pillars is on the slab.

So after hand cutting stone until my fingers hated me and getting to express almost no creativity I think I made a store front from a 1970's strip mall. It was a lesson in planning ahead for the builder, and pricing stone work for me. I am gonna go pour some floors to forget about it.

Don't even ask why the caps are 1 1/2 but the sills are 2", I just rolled with what they wanted.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you made them happy and got paid, then mission accomplished...tough to love every single project that comes our way. It is a dated look, I doubt you could do much more to improve what you had..maybe pitch the faces.
I actually started out intending to, but the 2" bed depth made for pretty crappy little stone, it was a 50/50 shot of them just breaking in the middle.

The nice part about it though after the second pillar on the opposite side (there were two porches) I figured out to take a big chunk of angle iron and use it as a smasher then just clean up the corner with a tracer.

·
Registered
909 Posts
The nice part about it though after the second pillar on the opposite side (there were two porches) I figured out to take a big chunk of angle iron and use it as a smasher then just clean up the corner with a tracer.
You need to save up for an "Elmer" if you plan to do more stone work. Works great on sill and brick as well...........

http://www.ermanufacturing.com/midgetsb4.cfm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts