Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your thoughts about this slogan? What does it say to you?

To me it sums up who I am as a carpenter. I like it, but I'm not sure it is the best to grow a business on. I have had it in the back of my head to use for my business for a few years.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts

To me it sums up who I am as a carpenter. I like it, but I'm not sure it is the best to grow a business on. I have had it in the back of my head to use for my business for a few years.
Somehow it doesn't resonate. I especially wouldn't use the word "job" in a slogan. Nothing personal, of course.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I like it, makes me assume you do quality work.
It infers you enjoy what you do.
There is nothing worse than working for/with someone who dislikes their occupation.

·
Stone Guy
369 Posts
That kind of slogan make me assume that:

a) you are a one-man show, or maybe have one or two helpers at the most.
b) you are a craftsman first. It conveys passion about your work.

Are those statements accurate?

If you are looking to grow and hire 20 guys, then maybe it's not the best slogan--at least not in the long-run. Possibly the slogan *might* make *some* people assume that you are not set up to handle big jobs.

·
Registered
Remodel
30,239 Posts

I'd look around the country at successful, respected companies you'd aspire to become, and see what they use, get some ideas and make them your own;)

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
That kind of slogan make me assume that:

a) you are a one-man show, or maybe have one or two helpers at the most.
b) you are a craftsman first. It conveys passion about your work.

Are those statements accurate?

If you are looking to grow and hire 20 guys, then maybe it's not the best slogan--at least not in the long-run. Possibly the slogan *might* make *some* people assume that you are not set up to handle big jobs.
That is exactly where I am at in my mind with it. You are absolutely right in your two assumptions.

You are also right in that I am looking to grow in the future. I can't make the claim of "more than a job, a calling" for people I would hire. I think I may use it on business cards and put it under my company name on invoices for now. But don't think I'd put it on a vehicle.

In reality, most people don't care about how much I love what I do. They are concerned with the finished product and what I can do.

I think, "Your full service remodeling contractor" would be more effective as a general rule.

One of the most important things that the book "the e myth" is how people who are natural craftsmen get married to their work instead of going to work on their business. That slogan pulls more towards being stuck in the "technician" role rather than growing a business that will become a self sustaining machine.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rock Head, checked out your site. You do nice work. One of my best friends has a stonescape company here in Indiana. What do you do during the winter? He makes enough during the good part of the year to hold them through the winter but he isn't growing aggressively enough. Just curious what you do with such a seasonal trade???

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
I never understand these type of threads.......:blink:

Spence,.....

If your customers don't like your personality.......

Your slogan isn't going to save you,...they are just words.....

JMPOV,

B,

·
Stone Guy
369 Posts
Rock Head, checked out your site. You do nice work. One of my best friends has a stonescape company here in Indiana. What do you do during the winter? He makes enough during the good part of the year to hold them through the winter but he isn't growing aggressively enough. Just curious what you do with such a seasonal trade???
Thank you. During the winters I challenge myself to design and build something new, something I've been scheming up during the work season. Then I take said project, and it usually becomes my display for the upcoming springs home show. I usually make enough during the warm part of the year to hold me through. if the work season was less profitable than usual, then I learn how to live more simply--it's also the only time I ever use a credit card--to buy groceries during winter! that's what I'm doing this winter and I'm happy with the situation cause I'm having a blast with this years top secret project, to be unveiled in a couple months! You could say it's a calling for me. Or that I'm just crazy :)

·
Registered
797 Posts
I like it. I think it shows how much you love what you are doing so of course you're going to be kick-azz at it.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Ha! Just reading some of your earlier posts. "Your full service remodeling contractor." I agree. That works better for what you are trying to do. So, can I steal your idea for my one man operation? :laughing:

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
PrestigeR&D said:
I never understand these type of threads.......:blink:

Spence,.....

If your customers don't like your personality.......

Your slogan isn't going to save you,...they are just words.....

JMPOV,

B,
I never understand these types of posts...

·
Radical Basement Dweller
27,506 Posts
I think it's too confusing. I personally don't think people want to get real philosophical when reading a business card or side of a truck.
Plus, as time passes, I think fewer people will know what "a calling' is.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts