Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't mean to "hit and run" with my posts last week... I've been overwhelmed with preparing for a presentation I gave to the local historical society. I was very nervous, as I seldom address a large room full of people. It went OK and I'm relieved that it is over.

I've posted about some of this before, but thought you might get a kick out of seeing what my shop looked like in it's prime.

Attachments

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
You have some cool history surrounding you my friend. You are fortunate to have that history recorded and I thank you for sharing. The only thing I really know about my shop is that one of the previous owners hanged himself because of a woman there. I'm happy to say that I have no pics to share. Got any more pics to share? Maybe one with the place in full swing?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Great photo Bass. Did any of the original interior pieces survive, or was it all gone when you bought it?
The only history I have of my shop is photos of my girls and thier friends running the jack hammer. Nothing funnier than an 8 yr old wearing goggles and ear muffs running a jack hammer:w00t:

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There was some very colorful history here, especially during prohibition. Raids by the Feds, gangsters, etc.

I don't have any photos of the place with 200 people dancing... I do have some photos of some of the bands that played here. At the presentation today, I met people born here, literally. Also met people married here and met three daughters of one of the band leaders that played here. It was great meeting those folks. Check out the Ralph Slade Band Bus:

Attachments

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great photo Bass. Did any of the original interior pieces survive, or was it all gone when you bought it?
The only history I have of my shop is photos of my girls and thier friends running the jack hammer. Nothing funnier than an 8 yr old wearing goggles and ear muffs running a jack hammer:w00t:
The girls and the jackhammer is priceless.:laughing:

The old dance hall had 7 apartments crammed into it when I bought it... tore them back out, but the damage had been done. Here is what it looks like now:

Attachments

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is an excerpt from my presentation that may be of interest here:

--"Miller and Ellsworth then sell off one of the five acres to Warren Bundy in 1867. This one acre parcel becomes know as “the Hotel Property.” The hotel building that still stands today, was probably built in 1868 (Lumber used bears the mill stamp from the Frenchtown Mill, of Coleman & Mitchell, Chippewa Falls, WI 1868-1870).

Warren Bundy was a Minnesota City area farmer, carpenter, and inventor of the famous “BMT” combination hand saw (BMT stands for—Bundy, Montague, and Troost—the names of patent holders. Bundy was the inventor, Troost was an investor and Montague was the producer (Montague--Woodrough Saw Co. Chicago). This was a rip, cross-cut, and miter saw combined. It cut “faster, easier, and cleaner than any other saw” and is still a prized hand saw today. I asked about BMT saws on a woodworking forum recently and an owner of a Warren Bundy saw stated, “I have never used a saw that cut so fast and so smoothly...” As a carpenter and woodworker, it was a fantastic discovery that an inventor of a legendary hand saw, was likely the carpenter who built the hotel that is now my home. Bundy also invented saw setting and weeding tools.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Very cool! I was going to ask you if you needed help but caught the MN addy. WAY too cold for a FL boy!

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Hi Bass-I showed your pictures to a musician friend.He went to school in Winona in the 1970's.

Played in the Woopie John Polka band,I envy you ,living in the land of such legendary musicians!!

Any way,He asked if you had a shot of the out side of your building?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Bass, very cool building and history. My shop was a scrap yard built during WW2. It was a mess when I bought it. There is still has a huge compactor under the floor. It went at least 12' below grade so I just dismantled it below the floor and sheathed over it.

Wish I had pictures of what it looked like back then.

Could someone direct me to a thread that will show me how to post pictures. I do it all the time in other forums I read but can't seam to do it here.

Dave

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,205 Posts
Could someone direct me to a thread that will show me how to post pictures.
Go here.

One thing it doesn't mention there is that it's a good idea to resample your pics to 640x480. That will make them fit most folks' screens without the need for horizontal scrolling.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Seems I may have inherited one of those saws from my grandfather.

If the Medallion wast exclusive to their company only, could this be another saw from their production line?Pic is a little hard to see,but it has the same medallion.

I guess I better clean er up a little better,since it's got some history to her.

According to the patent holder on the medallioins,they were struck with dies for suitable lettering or symbols.

Re.
http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/pBaker/medallions-castStamp/medallions-castStamp-3.asp

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts