Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cutting in a patio edge yesterday and my saw started making a funky noise then died, it was seized up after that.

Got home and took it apart and found this waiting for me.

I just rebuilt the carb 5 days ago and it was running great. Damn saw. I paid $250 for it two years ago and I just ordered $300 in parts to hopefully get it up and running again.

The connecting rod was shot, crank bearings grinding, cylinder is cooked. I hope a complete rebuild gets me a saw that lasts a few more years. They lead a hard life, I almost scrapped it, but I really don't want to pony up for a new saw right now.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
lean mix ??

That was exactly my thoughts. I ALWAYS add more oil then the small 2 strokes call for. Also,as soon as I fill my 5 gal. cans I dump an ounce or two of Marvel Mystery Oil in the can. I swear by it,been using it in all my gas engines for over 30 yrs. and never took one apart that looked like that !:no:

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lean mix ??
Not as far as I know, same can I always use, same 50:1 synthetic mix.

Lots of oil in the cylinder and crank case. It looks like a ring somehow got caught on the edge of a port and took a chunk of piston with it. I have no idea how, but there are bits of ring welded to top of the cylinder.

The connecting rod bearing was shot too, tons of play in it, so that may have contributed.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Not as far as I know, same can I always use, same 50:1 synthetic mix.

A "lean mix" or what acts like one can come from a whole host of possibilities. Something as simple as a slightly worn thread on a spark plug can allow the engine to suck much more air then it should and it will heat up in a New York second.

Bad carb /intake gasket,loose head / cylinder connection. IMHO that engine was running lean as a result of one or more of those possibilities.

Could also be a warped head. I would say it may be in your best interest to have all mating surfaces to be checked with a mic.or dial indicator.

A good old straight edge will not cut it.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
909 Posts
That looks like a pretty old Partner to me, I think I would have tossed it for $300 and all the labor involved. Those things were terrible at vibrating every screw out of them, often the entire air cleaner assembly, allowing it to suck dust right it, and blow up with in minutes. I thought they had it fixed, but I had a 760 blow up last year after doing the same exact thing. The stupid saw was only 10 months old also..............:censored:

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That looks like a pretty old Partner to me, I think I would have tossed it for $300 and all the labor involved. Those things were terrible at vibrating every screw out of them, often the entire air cleaner assembly, allowing it to suck dust right it, and blow up with in minutes. I thought they had it fixed, but I had a 760 blow up last year after doing the same exact thing. The stupid saw was only 10 months old also..............:censored:
I dated it in the late 90's I think, K950, and it did have a few issues with the air cleaner bolts.

I fixed it though by going to the hardware store and searching through the box until I found a few of very similar threads but I think metric, they went in tight but stayed great.

I was hemming and hawing all day about ordering the parts, but even with that $300 I will only have about $500 wrapped up into the saw, so if it gets me a few more seasons I will be happy to retire it and buy a brand new one.

I just picked up a new plate compactor last week, so I really wasn't feeling another purchase over $1k just yet.

It is ugly, and loud, but man can that think cut, even with the blade buried it just keeps going. I owe it one more chance for the money I think.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
That was exactly my thoughts. I ALWAYS add more oil then the small 2 strokes call for. Also,as soon as I fill my 5 gal. cans I dump an ounce or two of Marvel Mystery Oil in the can. I swear by it,been using it in all my gas engines for over 30 yrs. and never took one apart that looked like that !:no:
There is a large following of MAY users at bobistheoilguy.com

Lots of real world tests back up with oil analysis plus lots of debates.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
I sell my mixers and saws off when they are almost not dependable and buy new ones. Running old stuff eventually will cost you more then the price of the saw.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I sell my mixers and saws off when they are almost not dependable and buy new ones. Running old stuff eventually will cost you more then the price of the saw.
I am hoping to get it running good again and then move it into the backup saw spot after this season.

Like I said above, I was so close to just going out to the shop and getting a new 950 or 1260, but after picking up the new tamper I really didn't want to put it on my charge card.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Only ever had stihls
We had them at a company I used to work for, for long cuts they would vibrate the feeling right out of your hands.

Easy to maintain and always ran though.

I even ran the Makitas for awhile, they were quiet and ran pretty well, but weren't as reliable.

I have really like that Partner and I will probably buy a Husqvarna when I upgrade.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
After years with my EMAK I think I may try Stihl next time around. They are light and quiet and the stoneyard that I buy from has been using one for fab work for a year and say they have no problems with it.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
After years with my EMAK I think I may try Stihl next time around.

Me two ! Have three of their chain saws,all have served well ! One of the features of their demo / chop saws that is supposed to be best in industry is their air filtering system. And boy,we all know the dust a chop saw can throw out !

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
I've had a stihl ts420 for ovger a year now. I don't use it often...I probably go through less than 50 gallons of mixed fuel in a year 75 gallons maybe. The saw is 2 years old and I've changed the filter once. It's not really something you clean, meant to be replaced once a year. With 90 octane gas primer bulb pumped 4 times and 2 pulls on full choke it catches almost every time, next pull on no choke it runs. (when i do it for whatever reason the labes seem to flood it constantly)

·
Registered
414 Posts
I remove the filters at least once a week and blow the dust out and clean up the machine. Even when one blows I rebuild them for very cheap and put them back out to use. By only having stihls I have a couple saws for parts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts