Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need criticism on my resume.

Couldn't figure out how to get MS Word doc to look right here, but did copy/paste anyhows:

GC Man

Objective:
Commercial Construction Superintendent

Qualifications:
Accomplished construction professional with over twenty years in the industry, learning important skills and gaining knowledge in the field with hands on experience. With a broad background, strengths include implementation of Civil and Structural requirements, while gaining experience with finishes and MEP trades. The importance of safety, costs, budgets, scheduling and subcontractor relations is understood. The superintendent must have a clear knowledge of the contract documents, develop a vision for the project and be able to communicate that vision to the construction team. In addition to these skills, establishing a trusting relationship with the client and local authorities is essential.

Experience:
‘02 to present Superintendent Company 'X'
‘00 to ‘02 Est/PM/Supt Southern States Re-bar
’98 to ’00 Owner D & L Concrete
’97 to ’98 Superintendent Ga./Atlantic Co.
’95 to ’97 Superintendent Brice Building Co.
’92 to ’95 Superintendent Ellis-Don
’85 to ’92 Asst. Supt. R.J. Griffin & Co.
’84 to ’85 Carpenter The Winter Co.
’83 to ’84 Laborer McDevitt & Street

Summary:
Rising through the ranks, from laborer to superintendent, offers hands on experience with an enthusiasm for problem solving, getting answers and making decisions. A concern for safety, costs, scheduling, documentation and communication has matured with experience. Subcontractors are an important asset, and need access to the opportunity for profit. Their performance is an essential part of a successful project and it is the superintendent’s responsibility to remove all obstacles. Achieving the respect and confidence of the owner and design team will lead to a relationship beneficial to all.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
...in shorts?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I deserved that, rofl!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Spell out *MEP Trades*, try to throw some numbers in there as to value of projects, number of projects, square footages completed, number of people supervised. Do mention any bonuses you've recieved for project goals.
It may be on another page, but include any formal training I. E. OSHA, EPA , "and all trade specific college level course (accounting - planning - job saftey) If your previous emplyers get rebates on Work Comp etc, and you are part of the reason, that's something every employer wants to hear!
Ignore spelling erros from Oregon Coast.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Seriously after seen all the job hopping I'd think twice about hiring you. :(

Like shopdust said throw some project notes like... managed a 2.3 million dollar restuaranut building from start to finish in 3 months time.

Certifications? Licenses?

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
The first thing I noticed is that the sentences jump back and fourth from first person to third person. You need to pick one or the other and stick with it.

If I was you, I'd get rid of all the dates. Right away that screams to me that you'll only be working for me for two or three years before you jump ship.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Another angle to consider

Perhaps he didn't "jump ship". Maybe the company folded. Maybe there were layoffs, maybe they failed to give him a raise well deserved. One thing for certain is that he advanced with each job change for the most part. He should be knowledgeable and able to work well as a qualified Super just about anywhere.

Then again, maybe he will jump ship. That's for the potential employers to decide. Do you really think that three years in todays environment is considered "in and out"? The days of 20-30 years with a contractor are mostly gone. I would definitely speak with the man one-on-one before casting any judgements or making a decision.

By the way, I'm not new here, I've been trolling around for years, just never posted a dang thing. Don't know why I chose this one.
I'll share my resume at another time I suppose.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Grumpy,
Often superintendents are hired to simply to oversee a specific project. Not a problem with project-based employment.

That being said - GCMan - eliminate your earlier experience. Just put down your relevant experience to your current job search. It will make you look less "job hoppy". Also, you're resume is too wordy right now. Cut out half the wording and take advantage of bullet points. Let me take another look at this monday when I'm at my office. It's my job to make guys resumes marketable and I'll work on this one.

Tim

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Mr. Wieneke.

Of the two GC's the headhunter mentioned, a well respected associate of mine said i would be the best man in either corporation.

Guys, my world is different from yours. Not better or worse, just different.

Your criticisms have all been received and understood. I'm still thinking on them. Thanks, and give me more.

Laters.

·
Registered
246 Posts
GCMan said:
Thanks Mr. Wieneke.

Guys, my world is different from yours. Not better or worse, just different.
I don't understand what's so different about YOUR world from ours or mine.
You put your pants on the same as us. The only thing that I can think of is that a Superintendent is a bottom feeder. The first one to get laid off when the project is over. Just a puppet on a string that gets no respect from his employer or the tradesmen. You have too get in the trenches to get respect, just not sit in an air conditioned trailer and point fingers.
(Superintendent= a non producer) Go get yourself a 4yr. degree and become a project manager. You will be in more demand. just my 02. I tell it the way I see it and never sugar coat things. Why sugar coat B.S.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
A resume should be detailed enough to create interest, yet vague enough to encite questions. I trimmed it up a little on the redundancy. The third person to narrative case is deliberate because I think the reader can distinguish my statements about myself in the third person (never use "I" in a resume) from facts about the role I seek. In other words, I started the paragraph with an opinion about myself and then compared it to what I guessed was their opinion of what my role should be. The parts about what a good superintendent should be is what I think my prospective employer is looking for. Especially given my experiences with the sorry excuses for superintendents I've seen. And I'm proud of my laborer/carp helper/carpenter/field engineer/asst sup work history. I have no reason to clip that off because it is crucial to their understanding about me as a hands on super. I don't hide in the job trailer. My most favorite people are the ones who work in earth and structure, except for ironworkers who tend to think they are better than everybody else, lol. MEP in commercial is understood to mean Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing, no need to elaborate. Thanks again guys!

Yeah, pwrpapa, no problem. No sense arguing the differences between commercial and residential since I agree that our long or short pants are put on the same way. But I appreciate your thoughtful advice. Thanks.

I am not qualified to be a project manager, but I have served my time in the trenches and honestly I miss it. It was nice to go home to my family after actually accomplishing something.

Your impression of what a superintendent does for a living is sadly true. But I am not like that. If you noticed, the language of my resume holds high regard for the importance of subcontractors. They are the ones who have the expertise and perform all of the work. I have a high regard for the good ones, and no tolerance for the bad ones.

It's funny, the superintendent you describe is what I call "trailer trash", lol. Well that ain't me babe. Please reread my comments regarding subs and know that I mean just what I say.

EDIT: pwrpapa, the differences between residential and commercial are huge. The painters, paperhangers and carpet men all wear OSHA reg clothing, hardhats and safety glasses on the $80 M job I'm on. Ridiculous? I agree. But understand that large GC's are subject to "deep pocket" mentality of lawyers and that OSHA holds us more accountable. Dude, if you could change the direction of society's slide away from personal accountability, I would be first in line to elect you emperor. :cheesygri

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would like to explain something to you guys about my career and work history.

The only reason I got into construction was to feed my family. My first job was as a laborer on a twenty story office building. Since then, I never learned a real trade except for rough carpentry and construction layout. With a growing family I believed it was in my best interest to persue opportunities in the commercial general contracting path I was already on.

But notice that I was infected by the entrepreneur virus and started my own foundation contracting business. Took on small commercial/quasi-residential stuff and found I couldn't compete. That experience changed my view about subcontracting forever. What I learned is repect for what all of you do.

Then I went to work for my brother who had the bankroll to persue big jobs. After one year I landed him $3M worth of work on one job, and made him some money. I had to leave for personal reasons, it's a brother thing, but with some of the people I hired he is still going strong. I'm happy for him (heh...one of my sons works for him).

Then I went "back home" to the general contractor. My greatest job satisfaction comes when a contractor presents me with a problem. I want him to make money, because that's what it is all about, and I enjoy furnishing him with access to that opportunity. If he is just being selfish and lazy, I have to tell him too bad, cheap contractors are a bane to all of us. Construction is about good business practice, even if you are wearing shorts. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've hooked up with a great General Contractor in the Southeast.

They are like most general contractors, but they really try hard to balance the needs of their sub-contractors against the owner.

We don't hire just anyone.

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
GCMan said:
I've hooked up with a great General Contractor in the Southeast.

They are like most general contractors, but they really try hard to balance the needs of their sub-contractors against the owner.

We don't hire just anyone.
Congrats from just one of the smack talking tards of Contractor Talk! :Thumbs:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts