Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anything that I am building for myself, no matter how insignificant it is, I refuse to ever......EVER buy any sheetgood with SYP in it.

I made the dumb, dumb mistake. I should know better. No....I do know better, yet I still bought this crap. And it was all the same crap we complain about. It was cheaper than Advantech. I got exactly what I paid for and I deserve it.

Advantech was $23/sheet, this crap was $11/sheet. I'm building a 12x16 wood shed. I saved myself a whole $72!!!!! This is by far the worst OSB crap I've ever used in my life. When I was cutting it, I had to go get a face mask, a WELDING face mask. The splinters peppering my face in a 16' run was beyond belief. I have 10,000 splinters in my hands.

It rained last night. What pray tell do you think happened? Oh just a tad swelling on the seams. It buckled 1/2". I have nail blowouts on OSB!

I deserved it all.

Never ever again.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Yeah, I used to love the SYP CDX that had stitching on the sheets. That was always nice to deal with after the improperly vented attic steamed the backside of it.:blink:

·
Registered
108 Posts
I haven't used advantech yet, but obviously regular cdx plywood is better than osb, but what makes advantech even better the regular plywood?

I've always refused to use any OSB, I simply don't like it, but have consistently used CDX for all my projects.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I haven't used advantech yet, but obviously regular cdx plywood is better than osb, but what makes advantech even better the regular plywood?

I've always refused to use any OSB, I simply don't like it, but have consistently used CDX for all my projects.
Advantech is water resistant. No swelling.

·
Super Moderator
10,671 Posts
Is it just me or has all osb taken a turn for the worst. We have used various brands over the last 25 years and it seems in the last couple of years, the quality is horrible. If this crap gets wet ONE TIME!!! it swells ridiculously.

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
Is it just me or has all osb taken a turn for the worst. We have used various brands over the last 25 years and it seems in the last couple of years, the quality is horrible. If this crap gets wet ONE TIME!!! it swells ridiculously.

I noticed the last few runs of CDX we got for roof sheathing went all to hell when it got wet as well. Im talking a quick shower that made the 4 foot edges delaminate and buckle all to hell.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I installed 3/4" fir T&G plywood on the floor of the project I am doing now. It is always what I use but I may have to rethink it. It has delaminated in a dozen places. It was not to the weather for long so I don't know why I am having such an issue with it.

On the other hand I used Zip on the roof. This is the first time I have used the product and so far I am very happy with it. I guess time will tell. Being able to tape the joints to give you self fairly good water protection right away is a big plus.

I remember when OSB first came out they said it was as good as plywood. Ten years later I repaired roof after roof that had the crap failing badly. Hope this is not the case with this stuff.

Dave

·
Registered
108 Posts
Good info, I'm going to give advantech a try next time I get a project needing such. I also can't wait to try the Zip System.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
We dont have the moisture problems you guys out east have so our osb works great and doesnt twist all over the place like cdx does. I dont think anyone out here even stocks advantech. We are just starting to see zip wall's stuff come into play.

·
framing/millwork supplier
132 Posts
I need to sell you guys advantec...I sell it all day long for 18.39 a sheet...osb is an "engineered panel" and is superior to plywood but only if it is covered immediately after install...you cant deck a roof and come back and felt it a week later....which I have seen happen...but its all a matter of preference.

The osb you built with 10 years ago is not the same product today ...my personal preference is osb ...its lighter, and straighter and will give you a better looking finished product....it will not get that "wavy" look like cdx....

·
Registered
249 Posts
I need to sell you guys advantec...I sell it all day long for 18.39 a sheet...osb is an "engineered panel" and is superior to plywood but only if it is covered immediately after install...you cant deck a roof and come back and felt it a week later....which I have seen happen...but its all a matter of preference.

The osb you built with 10 years ago is not the same product today ...my personal preference is osb ...its lighter, and straighter and will give you a better looking finished product....it will not get that "wavy" look like cdx....
I just installed 70 plus sheets of the Advantech 5/8" T&G roof sheathing and it does have some advantages but being lite is not one of them.

Dave

·
Youngster
493 Posts
Here in Utah I gotta go with OSB. It is a dry climate. I've pretty much never seen OSB fail if properly installed here. I'll use CDX under a floor that is gonna get stone tile, but that is pretty much it. Most CDX is expensive garbage around here. Stuff warps like crazy and delaminates easily.

As far as OSB getting wet... some of you guys are talking about something I've never seen. A T&G floor here can take about 3 good rain storms before I would even start to worry about it. As far as a roof goes. I wouldn't worry until about the fifth storm. My roof is usually covered within a week though, so out here in the desert the chances of getting more than 3 rain storms as pretty low.

Also, depending on the flooring finish, I usually grab a couple gallons of off tint paint (satin or semi-gloss) and give the subfloor a good coat before walls go up. I get some strange looks, but it has some really big advantages.

• Rain/Snow become a non-issue.
  • After Drywall it looks like a mud bomb exploded on my deck. Hard to clean that waffle texture on the OSB. But if its painted, just a quick cleaning will do the trick.
  • Easy cleanup after trim and paint also.
  • HOs figured out that all that garbage ground into the OSB works its way out and up through the carpet. Destroys the pad quick and makes for a dusty house. They all request that we paint the subfloor before carpet anyway, so might as well do it before walls go up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts