Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
481 - 500 of 514 Posts

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
65,553 Posts
Time will tell. Hopefully that's the culprit.

·
Designer/Contractor
6,641 Posts
Seeing the irrigation leak reminded me of how a plumber I've worked with told me to use the meter to check for a leak. On the meters here in San Diego they have the numbers in an odometer like window and below that there is a small triangle. The small triangle measures really small amounts.

He would shut off the water, mark right next to one of the triangle points and then come back a little later and see if it had moved. If it had there was a leak somewhere.

Anywhoo, congratulations on finding the likely culprit!

·
Super Moderator
46,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #485 ·
Seeing the irrigation leak reminded me of how a plumber I've worked with told me to use the meter to check for a leak. On the meters here in San Diego they have the numbers in an odometer like window and below that there is a small triangle. The small triangle measures really small amounts.

He would shut off the water, mark right next to one of the triangle points and then come back a little later and see if it had moved. If it had there was a leak somewhere.

Anywhoo, congratulations on finding the likely culprit!

Yep, I played the "mark the micrometer game". Thought I didn't have a leak. That's because it only leaked when the sprinklers were on, underground 6 days a week!

Thanks for your help I learned stuff anyway.

·
Super Moderator
46,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #491 ·
Went ahead and ran a new copper line for my dogs water spigot.

And yes my license allows me to do plumbing too!

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
65,553 Posts
Up here I can do anything I want to my house as long as I own it. They still want the permits and inspection of course.

·
Super Moderator
46,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #500 ·
So I'm still having water issues under my slab. I've elected to pour the entire area with concrete and install a Trex fence with a gate. Hopefully this redirects all water away from my foundation.

Mike.

481 - 500 of 514 Posts