Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I done went and did it. I broke down and got me one of these:

Milwaukee Super Hawg

I like my Porter Cable RA drill but I am tired of changing bits all the time. Now I can keep my smaller bits (1") in this to go fast and larger bits in the RA in low speed.
I got it at my local supply house who is a Milwaukee dealer. As cheap or cheaper than most brick & mortar stores and online retailers. Guys, don't ever assume the big box stores have the cheapest prices.

I will let you all know how it works out. Maybe we can start a "tool review" board/thread?

I hope I don't smack myself in the face with this one!

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Looks serious, you can tell by the number of ways that they provide to hang on to it.
I could go with a 'tool' discussion, lots of boards have them.
Let us know how it works.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hay speedy,
It looks like some serious gear reduction, be careful when you chuck up a 4" hole saw in that thing.Also if you wear a ring think about taking it off before you go to work.
Dan

·
Electrical Contractor
744 Posts
Nice one speedy. Hope it never catches and turns you round and round!

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
I used the Super Hawg once when I was assigned another truck when mine was in the shop. It has a built in clutch (unlike the regular hole hawg and the regular right-angle drill). It won't spin you 'round or break your wrist. On the contrary, I think that the clutch is too "loose" and slips way before I'd ever have trouble holding onto it. I was drilling some 4-1/8" holes in a double top plate for a dryer vent, and I kept having to wiggle the tool from side to side (to relieve the cutter), since the tool would continously slip the clutch with this size of hole hawg bit installed. There did't appear to be any adjustment on this feature. For regular holes for cables through the studs, the higher speed is the cat's meeow. Everything's a tradeoff. I continue to use the right angle d-handle Milwaukee for most hole drilling applications, even though it'll rip your arm off if it gets jammed.

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll tell you what. I love this thing!
13 amps of man sized power, and 1750 RPMs of speed with no bog whatsoever in the hardest 120 year old lumber.

I'll bet this thing pays for itself in short order considering it drills about twice as fast as my RA drill. Especially considering I drill probably a few hundred holes per job.
$350 WELL spent. :Thumbs:

I think the big P-C RA drill will only be a backup from now on. Sorry ol' boy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts