Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
12,948 Posts
Don’t do it on a weekend
Supply houses are closed, not all repair flanges fit inside all bends. It depends on how close the bend starts to the flange. Some have expansion couplings but they can split an old cast iron bend. I would leave the flange alone if it does not leak and just plate under the flange until you did the whole bath

·
Just Jennifer - The Paint
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Curious, have any of you ever paid $60 for a flange of any kind? The "Plumbers" showed me a 4" twist and seal flange that they said was over $60, I laughed out loud and showed them the exact one at HD for $34.75 & plenty in stock locally. I told them they were rooked and aught to return it. They did not try to tell me what the cost of the flange they actually installed was. What I know is was it was $12.49 at RONA or Lowes. It seems either they were stupid or thought I was.

·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Don’t do it on a weekend
Supply houses are closed, not all repair flanges fit inside all bends. It depends on how close the bend starts to the flange. Some have expansion couplings but they can split an old cast iron bend. I would leave the flange alone if it does not leak and just plate under the flange until you did the whole bath
I knew that, I purchased 3 and returned them for ill fits. I did get one that fit, in the end but it seems to have gone missing, now. I was going to keep it for the redo. I also returned the mortar because the "plumber" said they would bring their own materials. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
12,948 Posts
Curious, have any of you ever paid $60 for a flange of any kind? The "Plumbers" showed me a 4" twist and seal flange that they said was over $60, I laughed out loud and showed them the exact one at HD for $34.75 & plenty in stock locally. I told them they were rooked and aught to return it. They did not try to tell me what the cost of the flange they actually installed was. What I know is was it was $12.49 at RONA or Lowes. It seems either they were stupid or thought I was.
Many charge 100% markup if it’s on the truck

·
Registered
Custom
15,523 Posts
Did that $34.75 at HD include time for procurement, delivery, gas and profit for the plumber on the material? You don't markup your paint to cover those things and add profit? Overhead, Labor, Material costs and Profit on it all don't go away just because it's online for less, unless you're going to get it...

@KAP You asked "If you KNOW it's not right, why are still going ahead with the toilet install just to invite more problems?" Well, did I mention that I have a spouse that will be impossible if he has to go another week without that toilet! I let them finish and am holding my breath. A cranky husband is not a lot of fun, either, and he is not patient about work around the house at the best of times, but going without the upstairs toilet at night... I'm licking my wounds and giving it more time. At some point he is supposed to take a trip to Florida to visit his siblings. I can pull it back out at that time and fix the floor. Covid travel restrictions are not my friend here, either!!
I've no doubt that you'll get it done right... but it came at a cost to satisfy your spouse (we've all BTDT)... so if he's cool losing the Benjamin's to trade off not being without an extra toilet, you're golden... (y)

The old adage played out here...

Hand Gesture Finger Line Font

·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
@KAP "Did that $34.75 at HD include time for procurement, delivery, gas and profit for the plumber on the material? You don't markup your paint to cover those things and add profit? Overhead, Labor, Material costs and Profit on it all don't go away just because it's online for less, unless you're going to get it..."
& @rrk
I would assume, that like painters, all those cost are included in the billing. (Though no quote or proposal was given! He did not tell me what they were charging me for it! He told me that was the shelf price, and I assume that is WITH the contractors discount. (I don't know, but I expect plumbers get contractors discounts on materials as well.) If he'd had any brains, he would not have talked about the price of it at all. I don't tell my clients what I paid for various materials. I tell them labor & materials, block pricing. AND like any HO, all I care about is the job gets done at the bottom line agreed to. How they come to the bottom line is not my concern. Do you think I queried my steel cladding guy about what he paid for stuff? Nope, He wrote the proposal I like the guy's straight forward & up front attitude, the price seem appropriate to me and I signed. We did not discuss money again until I included a $500 gratuity to the company and gave all his guys $50 each, for beer money, I do treat contractors well, that perform well. I want them to be happy to hear from me again and the good ones have always been happy to get another call. (I HATE IDIOTS!! )

·
Registered
GC / over qualified handyman
640 Posts
From what I've seen here, my thinking is I can leave it until or unless problems appear :unsure:. Also, I think I should NOT caulk around the base so any water will possibly show up on the floor, though it seems more likely water leakage will just fall onto the lower ceiling?
If it passes the paper test, it should be good to caulk.

Flush 5-6 times in a row. Slide a piece of paper under the toilet. Pull it out to check for wetness. Continue checking all the way around the flange.

·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
@KAP Just a side not. As it happens, I do charge the retail price on materials and the profit is the discount I get at the store. I do, however, charge time and distance for materials. I charge enough for my time and labor that I don't much think about profiting on materials. I know most painters do have a good mark up on materials and I see nothing wrong in that. What I think is an idiot move is to start talking materials prices with an HO! First, in today's world, where the price of anyrthing can be found in seconds, a contractor would be opening a can of worms. I maintain, if that plumber paid over $60 with his trade discount, he was a fool! That's why I laughed at him. (More likely he was trying to impress me with a lie!) I did not ask what he planned to charge me because it was not an issue for me; it's always about the bottom line for me. The issue does demonstrate how many kinds of a fool he was. As per discussing the cost of paint, between painters it is a regular topic of discussion BUT NEVER with a client. Imagine submitting a bid to Holiday Inn or some such, and you start discussing the cost of a gallon of paint, you'd be out of the running, instantly, because you would look like an inexperience idiot for whom they would think, I don't have time for this. I just found it laughable and still do.

·
Registered
Custom
15,523 Posts
@KAP Just a side not. As it happens, I do charge the retail price on materials and the profit is the discount I get at the store. I do, however, charge time and distance for materials. I charge enough for my time and labor that I don't much think about profiting on materials. I know most painters do have a good mark up on materials and I see nothing wrong in that. What I think is an idiot move is to start talking materials prices with an HO! First, in today's world, where the price of anyrthing can be found in seconds, a contractor would be opening a can of worms. I maintain, if that plumber paid over $60 with his trade discount, he was a fool! That's why I laughed at him. (More likely he was trying to impress me with a lie!) I did not ask what he planned to charge me because it was not an issue for me; it's always about the bottom line for me. The issue does demonstrate how many kinds of a fool he was. As per discussing the cost of paint, between painters it is a regular topic of discussion BUT NEVER with a client. Imagine submitting a bid to Holiday Inn or some such, and you start discussing the cost of a gallon of paint, you'd be out of the running, instantly, because you would look like an inexperience idiot for whom they would think, I don't have time for this. I just found it laughable and still do.
I get it, but him telling you $60 in response to your question, was most likely him giving you a bottom line to avoid opening the can of worms you mentioned by discussing it line item-by-line item with the customer... not defending him, but I think you would have probably been more unsatisfied if he ignored your question... from what you described, it wasn't a T&M job after all, right? In reality, what he told you was accurate, WITH (as in including) his trade discount it cost him $60, which would include the other associate costs...

Where I think he did you raw was not doing as discussed and without the estimate you asked for... I would have told him to do what you asked, but you rolled the dice to keep your hubby happy... all of which is understandable... we've all been in situations where we weighed those pros and cons...

To me, even at $34.75, I'd GLADLY pay a plumber to travel to the supply house, procure it and deliver it for the extra $25, especially considering gas prices today... but that's me...

Hope the new bathroom puts this little episode in the rear view mirror of memories and your hubby appreciates the headache you dealt with... (y)

·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
I get it, but him telling you $60 in response to your question, was most likely him giving you a bottom line to avoid opening the can of worms you mentioned by discussing it line item-by-line item with the customer... not defending him, but I think you would have probably been more unsatisfied if he ignored your question... from what you described, it wasn't a T&M job after all, right? In reality, what he told you was accurate, WITH (as in including) his trade discount it cost him $60, which would include the other associate costs...

Where I think he did you raw was not doing as discussed and without the estimate you asked for... I would have told him to do what you asked, but you rolled the dice to keep your hubby happy... all of which is understandable... we've all been in situations where we weighed those pros and cons...

To me, even at $34.75, I'd GLADLY pay a plumber to travel to the supply house, procure it and deliver it for the extra $25, especially considering gas prices today... but that's me...

Hope the new bathroom puts this little episode in the rear view mirror of memories and your hubby appreciates the headache you dealt with... (y)
What question, I never asked him any questions other than YOU AREN'T GOING TO FIX THE FLOOR?!! No, it was not time and material, it was supposed to be priced finished. I wouldn't doubt that the COST TO ME would be $60, none the less, he had no need to tell me anything and to say that was what he paid was just dumb. Worse, he was talking on behalf of his boss without consulting the boss. If I had an employee that did sh** like that, he would not be with me long! All I asked was where my job estimate was and was told XYZ will call you in the evening to give you the cost of the job. The materials conversation was one that never needed to happen and just made a fool of that plumber. I did not think he was "Doing me wrong" on the materials cost, I just thought I should show him what a fool he was to talk about HIS SHELF PRICE, first it was none of my business and secondly, if he was telling the truth, the cost to me would have been about $120. (Maybe it was :D I didn't ask.) I did not find any fault with pricing, or if I did, I was expecting it to be about 3X the price charged BUT with a repaired floor and bolts set in said repaired floor. The price was fine for a sloppy hack job.

Hubby is always happy to have me deal with things since the first plumber was hired to do some expensive, main drain, repair in the basement. When he suggested a cheap band-aid, I said "NO!! It must be done right." Then I left hubby and the plumber to go out to run some errands. I came back to find a pile of concrete around a basement pipe. And asked hubby "What the HEII happened here?" "Well, the plumber told me how much cheaper it was to use his easy fix and I told him to go ahead." 6 days work was reduced to an hour and I blasted hubby and told him if and or when water floods that floor, we will now need to bail it out because there is no where for the water to go! And as luck would have it, there was a washer problem within the week and I bellowed the whole time I was bailing and mopping. Since then, hubby is afraid of the trades and tells all trades men, "Don't talk to me! My wife makes all the decisions about household repairs." That was plumber # 1, I've been through 2 more since then. Part of the problem may be geography, most people in this town are so cheap they squeak and I think the local trades just assume they must be the cheapest. There are only 4 clients, locally, that I would agree to work for. No big deal, I really came here to retire. I will do work for the 4 I speak of, but won't take on any new ones and sooner rather than later, I will be turning down all work. 46 years in, I'm tired.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts