Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Just Jennifer - The Paint
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Sometimes sucks having to put out money for proper repairs but suck even more to put out money for a band-aid fix only to have to re-address it later and do it right at a higher cost because now you have to also pay for replacement of materials, and added labor to remove and reinstall the toilet...

Time to re-evaluate now before the install of the toilet... best of luck... (y)
NO KIDDING! That is why I wanted it done correctly. However, it is my to great, good fortune that a full scale bathroom reno is not to far into the future. At that time it will have all of the plumbing replaced, along with a replacement of the main stack, basement plumbing and drains replaced. Until then....

·
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
From what I've seen here, my thinking is I can leave it until or unless problems appear :unsure:. Also, I think I should NOT caulk around the base so any water will possibly show up on the floor, though it seems more likely water leakage will just fall onto the lower ceiling?

·
Registered
12,972 Posts
They did a quick and dirty repair
Like you said, they should have removed the flange, you fix the floor and they can install better coupling and flange

what they did should work short term but is is ugly. The whole bend needed to be replaced and if you are doing the whole bath soon they thought this will work until then

·
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
They did a quick and dirty repair
Like you said, they should have removed the flange, you fix the floor and they can install better coupling and flange

what they did should work short term but is is ugly. The whole bend needed to be replaced and if you are doing the whole bath soon they thought this will work until then
They had no idea I was planning a full reno! They were just shoddy. It was a good test run and I will not be hiring them for the major reno plumbing!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I left him to look at the job and estimate what was to be done & cost, minutes later I hear the angle grinder and the guy is starting the work with no estimate, no paper quote with an outline of what is going to happen.
Tell the boss you figure the job is worth $100. When he complains, tell him to show you a copy of the approved proposal.

·
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Tell the boss you figure the job is worth $100. When he complains, tell him to show you a copy of the approved proposal.
Nope, I never argue about price. (Or haven't yet, so long as it seems reasonable for the time involved. As it happened I gave him $200.) I figure it's worth it to test a company. The truth is, it's his loss as any major work won't go to him.

·
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
@KAP You asked "If you KNOW it's not right, why are still going ahead with the toilet install just to invite more problems?" Well, did I mention that I have a spouse that will be impossible if he has to go another week without that toilet! I let them finish and am holding my breath. A cranky husband is not a lot of fun, either, and he is not patient about work around the house at the best of times, but going without the upstairs toilet at night... I'm licking my wounds and giving it more time. At some point he is supposed to take a trip to Florida to visit his siblings. I can pull it back out at that time and fix the floor. Covid travel restrictions are not my friend here, either!!

·
1 on 2
Mason
2,880 Posts
@KAP You asked "If you KNOW it's not right, why are still going ahead with the toilet install just to invite more problems?" Well, did I mention that I have a spouse that will be impossible if he has to go another week without that toilet! I let them finish and am holding my breath. A cranky husband is not a lot of fun, either, and he is not patient about work around the house at the best of times, but going without the upstairs toilet at night... I'm licking my wounds and giving it more time. At some point he is supposed to take a trip to Florida to visit his siblings. I can pull it back out at that time and fix the floor. Covid travel restrictions are not my friend here, either!!
I'm a gonna go with you will take a half a day, fix that sumabich right by yourself and be done with it while he's gone...

You need to post more often...

·
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
I'm a gonna go with you will take a half a day, fix that sumabich right by yourself and be done with it while he's gone...

You need to post more often...
2 days for sure! Depending how difficult it will be to remove all that silicone, then time for the anchor mortar to set and finally, put the toilet back. Hubby will have a conniption fit if he sees me taking it all apart again! There will be nothing I could say to him that would quiet him, don't want to go there. But YES! If he is out of the house for a couple of days, I can fix it pretty easy!
Yes, I should post here more. I tend to be more active on painttalk.com and diychatroom.com, the painters seem much more active over there. These are all sister sites, BTW.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts