Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,009 Posts
It's fixable, little it of tile comes up, scrape floor and there is a 2 part metal flange that slips under closet flange and gets screwed to the floor. Its square, mu plumber uses them a lot since he works in lots of old houses.
Toilet covers everything.

I think the hole is a bit big but not rotted, wax squeeze out is on the floor which can look like rot

·
Registered
13,009 Posts
The flange is ABS but what is the elbow? if its cast that explains the silicone, judging from the tile age it's either lead or cast.

·
Registered
13,009 Posts
Thats a 3" repair flange, sometimes plumbers use silicone on the rubber gaskets to get it to slip in easier and once dry is can help the seal. There is no pressure in that pipe just gravity and the repair flange drops 3 or 4 inches past the floor. My plumber uses it when the elbow is secure and you cant get to the underside of the flange.
I just asked him, he said the giveaway is the split UPC label. The outer ring can spin on the rest of the fitting so the holes can be lined up.

·
Registered
13,009 Posts
They did a quick and dirty repair
Like you said, they should have removed the flange, you fix the floor and they can install better coupling and flange

what they did should work short term but is is ugly. The whole bend needed to be replaced and if you are doing the whole bath soon they thought this will work until then

·
Registered
13,009 Posts
Don’t do it on a weekend
Supply houses are closed, not all repair flanges fit inside all bends. It depends on how close the bend starts to the flange. Some have expansion couplings but they can split an old cast iron bend. I would leave the flange alone if it does not leak and just plate under the flange until you did the whole bath

·
Registered
13,009 Posts
Curious, have any of you ever paid $60 for a flange of any kind? The "Plumbers" showed me a 4" twist and seal flange that they said was over $60, I laughed out loud and showed them the exact one at HD for $34.75 & plenty in stock locally. I told them they were rooked and aught to return it. They did not try to tell me what the cost of the flange they actually installed was. What I know is was it was $12.49 at RONA or Lowes. It seems either they were stupid or thought I was.
Many charge 100% markup if it’s on the truck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts