Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rained all night here last night and I was starting a small block job this morning.

Got to the site and it was underwater and the walls were caved in. The guy running the job sent guys out to shovel it out. We didn't get the first lead up until noon and now it is getting dark at 4:30.

I was hoping it would be a one day job, gave him a good price too.

Always a fun day when someone else pours the footers, at least they were square I guess.

·
Registered
405 Posts
been there done that. the last foundation I did we were pumping out the forms and digging a trench to drain the hole. we had almost 3 feet of water in the hole.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Every time I deal with a trench footer something sucky happens.

Last time was a complete cave in, you wouldn't even know the footer was in there, it sucked.

Then the time before that the GC was laying out a semi-complicated foundation and the excavator was right behind him digging the hole as he marked, he didn't even square it up or pull strings.

Needless to say we had almost 3 feet of footer to work with and the block still went over the edge in about 4 spots. We had hand dig the outside of it and drill pins, then pour a whole new footer next to the existing one.

It wasn't my job, but the guy I was working with wasn't impressed.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Feel for you,good size mess going on there. Pumping the hole dry is one thing.What do you do with mud on the footing ? At this stage of the game you will not get these old bones in a trench,hate walking on my ankles.:laughing:

·
Contractor
7,644 Posts
I always try and leave at least a sump pit along the footing if they are calling for rain. If I can I'll dig a trench to daylight so it drains.

Sorry about your day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts