Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 382 Posts

·
Chief Reporter of Spam
6,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started tearing out my bathroom today... the house is 3 years old and the bathroom floors are crunchy with cracked grout *eye roll* We bought a new construction home so I wouldn't have these worries, but the floor is out and the shower is getting tiled!
Here's my initial pictures... hardie board was not thinsetted down, seams were not mesh taped and mudded, and they set tile with un-modified thin set but didn't burn the tile.............awesome, but atleast the floor came up easy. These are the reasons why your better off buying a pre owned home and hiring someone like me to pimp it out, LOL

Attachments

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
I remember just a couple years into my construction "career":shifty:, the flooring guys were putting backer board down and not putting any kind of tape on the seams. I confronted them on it and asked " Aren't you supposed to tape the seams?" The guy replied "Well they say you are supposed to .....but we don't":rolleyes:. Yeah .....they went out of business................

·
Chief Reporter of Spam
6,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear ya... later on I found out that the company that was subbed out to do the tile in my house fired their tile setter so they sent the carpet guy to do it, smh
These pictures are going to be printed out and taken directly to the builders office and he's getting an earful.
I was still working full time when this house was built so I didn't have much time to be here...

·
It's Not a Toomaa!!
1,624 Posts
Cool. I hate demo anyway. At least you don't have to worry about massive tear out issues.Last tile floor I had to tear out had a 3" mud bed under it sitting on 1/2" ply. I had to go through it to get the soil pipe so I could move the toilet 3". Good times. I really hate bathroom demo.

·
Chief Reporter of Spam
6,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HandyHails said:
Cool. I hate demo anyway. At least you don't have to worry about massive tear out issues.Last tile floor I had to tear out had a 3" mud bed under it sitting on 1/2" ply. I had to go through it to get the soil pipe so I could move the toilet 3". Good times. I really hate bathroom demo.
Josh, I need you to come down and do me up that floor design on my walls.........

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Tech, study the pictures I posted. This bathroom was designed by a commercial architect. Look closely at how the tile lines inside and outside the shower glass line up. Yet they are different tiles.

His horizontal lines were an important part of his design. Also the tile floor base matches the curb height and the first tile in the shower.

Electrical outlets are to within 1/16" centered between the cassings. Identical heights from vanity top, etc. The diagonals on the two curbs to head quartz between the glass are within 1/32" identical. I measured these out with sticks cut to an exact length.

Anyway, lots of good design detail there if you look closely.

·
Chief Reporter of Spam
6,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure yet, there is a guy 15 minutes away, Mr. Shower Door, he's going to be installing a custom door on the job I just finished but Opie is also going to contact a guy that he knows that can possibly ship me a panel and brackets.
You know anyone good?

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
I like the shelf going across the shower. Will you put a decorative band at that point?

·
Taz
446 Posts
tech i got a guy here in nj - does a real nice job...........ever hear of precision glass? i have used him for some frameless doors and walls and they have come out nice...........................

·
Banned
1,887 Posts
ya aint done yet??????:eek::eek:

that shower will be tight for one panel of glass. What would look sweet is a linear drain for the curb and slope the floor to the drain.

What is the shelf for SWAG:laughing::laughing:

·
Taz
446 Posts
opie i had a tile guy tell me one time not to thinset the hardi down - just screw it down and you will be fine - well i told him to screw off - that is what separates some hacks from pros - and then home owners tell ya that they have someone that can do the job for half the price - i have been on a rant about that lately and some people just piss ya off...................
on the good side next week we start a 2200 sq foot tile job - cant wait for that one................over looking philly - and the river....................................hope everyones day is a good one:thumbup:

·
Chief Reporter of Spam
6,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would like a linear drain but the ole lady wants some type of a door :( , ida had john whipple install it for me,lol...

I'm thinking of padding out the fixture wall a few inches fo a little more elbow room, good idea? The floor, back of niche, front of shelf and the seat will have multi-color pebbles and the walls are going to be a 13 x 20 porc. Tile. Do u guys think that pebbles on the seat would be cool?? Ill upload my sample tiles...

·
Banned
1,887 Posts
pebbles on the seat top:rolleyes::rolleyes:

just make sure ya dont use PT wood for that curb:whistling:whistling

Looks good so far. Shame you couldnt have made the shower longer from the closet in the other room. ya better be nice to your OLE lady before she makes ya take a shower in a tub stall with mastic:laughing::laughing:

oh and BTW I think I have pebbles in my head:w00t::w00t: do ya need extra ones

·
If my PO asks,I set tile
688 Posts
Pebbles on the seat?! :eek:

Make em the small pebbles and you got a loofah for your butt! You might never leave the shower!

Reactions: opiethetileman
1 - 20 of 382 Posts