Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to sub out the pre-engineered hardwood floor installation...

At the beginning of installation I saw him under cut the door casing (this door separates the living from the hallway, so the wood flows through both rooms) so all was well.

Towards the end of installation I noticed a small square gap in the wood floor where the casing meets the jamb. That was when I noticed he did not under cut jamb. He only under cut the casing and cut the wood to fit around jamb.

I told him he was supposed to under cut jamb also. He said he never heard of such a thing.

Am I just crazy? I've always under cut jamb along with the casing and slide the wood underneath

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I'm come to realize that a good majority of sub contractors have no business being in business.
It's not just subs but contractors in general. I've been complaining about this for years especially since the economy went to ****, everyone and his brother woke up one day and decided to start their own business and they haven't a clue what they are doing.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Personally I would undercut the whole fricken house if I could.
I would love to undercut metal commercial doorjambs as well.
I see that in a bunch of DIY tile installations, l cuts around trim and everything .

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
I've seen a lot of tile installation like that, with grout filling the gap between the tile and the jamb / casing - looks like crap.
A pro will undercut.

·
Super Moderator
24,715 Posts
So I decided to sub out the pre-engineered hardwood floor installation...

At the beginning of installation I saw him under cut the door casing (this door separates the living from the hallway, so the wood flows through both rooms) so all was well.

Towards the end of installation I noticed a small square gap in the wood floor where the casing meets the jamb. That was when I noticed he did not under cut jamb. He only under cut the casing and cut the wood to fit around jamb.

I told him he was supposed to under cut jamb also. He said he never heard of such a thing.

Am I just crazy? I've always under cut jamb along with the casing and slide the wood underneath

You don't work this sort of detail/expectation out prior to the commencement of work?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Was he cheap at least? :laughing:

·
Registered
585 Posts
I find a lot of guys who are specialized in just one aspect of carpentry fail to see the big picture of what they are doing especially if that's all they've ever done. I've also met a lot of these kind of guys who, as an employee are just coasting through a job they can tolerate and pay their bills with or as a business owner have very minimal construction/carpentry experience and are treating it entirely like a business.

Just what I've seen from a lot of sub-contractors I've worked around. Obviously doesn't apply to many good subs. I just haven't met many, the company I used to work for who used lots of subs was notorious for hiring the cheapest guy. Company before that we did almost everything in house, the difference in quality was night and day.

Bottom line, I think you need to be on your subs for atleast the first few jobs until you can trust them and maybe even special request one of their guys to do your flooring. References don't necessarily mean anything either. A lot of homeowners or those "other" GCs are totally happy with passable or borderline quality.

·
Box Builder
6,319 Posts
You wouldn't think so. But, I've found people will do things the way they are used to. I have had to run through the basics with people to make sure things get done the way I want them. It sucks. Just another reason that if you want anything done right you have to do it yourself. But you can't do that except on your own house.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts