Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed some small charges on my CC recently, .99 cents to about 5 bucks. I called them, and it's being reversed.

This got me thinking, so I checked back to January last year - yup, they had me then too. My fault for not checking my statements each month :(

The CC company can only go back 30 days, so I'm out of luck and $250.

hard lesson for me!

So check your statements! I sure as heck will be doing that now.

Older and wiser today. and a little mad at myself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I checked my business statement today, some :censored:thief reloaded his Starbucks card with my $100. It is being reversed. Had to cancel card, I use this card for truck fuel and small supply purchases. What a pain in the ass.
The whole idea of prepaying for overpriced coffee $100 at a time is something only a total dumbass would do. The folks at Starbucks are smart they are getting those total dumbasses to finance their inventory.:rolleyes:

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked my business statement today, some :censored:thief reloaded his Starbucks card with my $100. It is being reversed. Had to cancel card, I use this card for truck fuel and small supply purchases. What a pain in the ass.
The whole idea of prepaying for overpriced coffee $100 at a time is something only a total dumbass would do. The folks at Starbucks are smart they are getting those total dumbasses to finance their inventory.:rolleyes:
100 bucks on a coffee card? holy crap. I generally get one from the kids for Christmas, but it's $25 or so. I use it up then it's done.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
How are they hacking you with a chip card?

I have only had one CC problem here in Canada...with my US card being hacked, but never my Canadian ones

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Chris Johnson said:
How are they hacking you with a chip card? I have only had one CC problem here in Canada...with my US card being hacked, but never my Canadian ones
That's funny. I got a call from Am Ex in January asking if I just charged $1200 in cosmetics in Canada! The account was closed within 3 hours of the scam and a new card delivered in 2 days.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My wife's chip was hacked a couple weeks ago.... She got a call because while she getting a double double at tim hortons someone was trying to charge $1500 to it in Florida

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
My daughter is going through this id theft right now:censored:apparently some ahole hacked her iphone and sent a fraudulent email,the crap she has to go through to prove she didn't send it to campus police pisses me off

·
General Contractor
8,090 Posts
Worked for a guy a while back, they where computer programmers on wall street managing banks and money transfers... The had a set up where they would get pennies from each transaction going into bogus accounts and when they got nailed, they manages to clip 10M.

So in your case if this wasn't a glitch in the system (because you cannot use credit card to charge 99 cents) and someone is actually getting money from your CC, a little bit here and there can be a profitable thing.

With that said, CC should know how and why this charges occurred and they full of it if they told you they cant go back more then 30 days back... They said that because they afraid if there is more charges like this in the past, you will seek credit.

·
Registered
358 Posts
greg24k said:
Worked for a guy a while back, they where computer programmers on wall street managing banks and money transfers... The had a set up where they would get pennies from each transaction going into bogus accounts and when they got nailed, they manages to clip 10M. So in your case if this wasn't a glitch in the system (because you cannot use credit card to charge 99 cents) and someone is actually getting money from your CC, a little bit here and there can be a profitable thing. With that said, CC should know how and why this charges occurred and they full of it if they told you they cant go back more then 30 days back... They said that because they afraid if there is more charges like this in the past, you will seek credit.
That kinda sounds similar to the plot of office space. You'd think they would have preventive measures in place after a movie did it

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Worked for a guy a while back, they where computer programmers on wall street managing banks and money transfers... The had a set up where they would get pennies from each transaction going into bogus accounts and when they got nailed, they manages to clip 10M.

So in your case if this wasn't a glitch in the system (because you cannot use credit card to charge 99 cents) and someone is actually getting money from your CC, a little bit here and there can be a profitable thing.

With that said, CC should know how and why this charges occurred and they full of it if they told you they cant go back more then 30 days back... They said that because they afraid if there is more charges like this in the past, you will seek credit.
Well my friend, I'm looking at my March statement, and yup- there's a bunch of .99 cent charges. I don't know what happened, I am going to guess that my card got "skimmed" ie: someone has installed a second reader machine and swiped it, getting all of my info. There's a lot of that happening in our neck of the woods right now.

I have the "square" card reader, and in order to test it out I charged myself $1.00 on the card. Square sends me back .97 cents. I haven't used it with a client yet though, only had it a couple of months.

it looks like all of the fraudulent charges were done "on-line"

I've never had this happen before! and I almost never use the CC, prefer to pay cash or debit card.

The CC company is holding fast, they say that they cannot go back to the merchant with a challenge on a CC more than 30 days. It's a rule some where buried in the legal stuff. aha. sounds like BS but what can you do?

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
How are they hacking you with a chip card?

I have only had one CC problem here in Canada...with my US card being hacked, but never my Canadian ones
Chip and pin only protects the actual card, the mag stripe still has data loaded on it, so you insert your card into a fraudulent chip reader, it will still let you use the chip, but at the same time it reads the track 2 data from the mag stripe.

Track 2 has everything you need to scam a credit card, then you simply find a retailer who isn't using chip and pin, or shop online.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Chip and pin only protects the actual card, the mag stripe still has data loaded on it, so you insert your card into a fraudulent chip reader, it will still let you use the chip, but at the same time it reads the track 2 data from the mag stripe.

Track 2 has everything you need to scam a credit card, then you simply find a retailer who isn't using chip and pin, or shop online.
The transitional period we are in now with RF, mag strip and chip is lower security than a good old signature.

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
This credit card and identity theft has been almost a daily problem with my family and business.

About two years ago the gas station I used for 40 years took my credit card in their back room and made a copy of the card. I knew something was suspicious and told the attendant that I was going to call the police at the time he swiped the card because the attendant turned my gas pump off two times. It was 4 in the morning and I was going from Los Angeles to Las Vegas so I didn't call the police, but 3 days later I got a call from my credit card company and someone purchased four $250 gift certificates plus another purchase at one Target store. I call the police and Exxon, but nobody cares.

A few months ago, my bank called me and said a Hispanic woman in Sacramento was opening a bank account and several charge accounts at stores with my 14-year old son's social security number. Again, nobody cares and because he is a minor there is absolutely nothing anybody wants to do.

Just two days ago, I received a call from my credit card company and someone is using my credit card in Florida. My most recent credit card purchase was flowers.com and I'm thinking that one of their employee must have used my credit card information.

A few years ago, someone made checks identical to my paychecks. You can do this by purchasing blank checks and $10 software. The checks were so perfect nobody could tell the originals from the fakes. Three people were involved and they cashed $8,000 worth of checks. All three were arrested and the police only took only one person to court. The court dismissed the case because the judge said nobody witnessed the criminal actually forging my name on the checks and all he had to say in court was he did not sign the checks and he was only cashing them.

In the past forty years I've had about 6 incidents where people either stole blank checks from my office, or they actually had legitimate checks I gave them, they crossed out the numbers and liquor stores cashed the checks for much higher amounts. Currently, I don't give most of my employees their paychecks. I write the checks and deliver most (not all) of the paychecks to a check cashing store. Most of my employees get paid with cash without having the ability to make copies nor alter their paychecks. It makes it easier to pay employees this way because employees come into my office at all different times of the day, during the evening and I don't have to be bothered every time an employee wants his paycheck.

Now, my credit card companies turn off my credit cards almost every day. Yesterday, I had to call my credit card company three times to be able to make purchases. This angers me every time, but I can see the need to be safe because I see just about everyone I know having identity and credit card theft problems. Someone has to invent a system that is theft-proof.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts