Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I figured I would post a thread following me turning my basement into a basement income suite.

I have already done the underpinning and I am now in the process of restoring the rubble stone foundation wall, I am semi detached and I will be leaving that stone exposed on that side.

I removed all of the plaster and pressure washed the stone, I treated the wall with nmd80 and blasted it with hot water, pics are attached.

I am now in the process of choosing the right mortar color after removing all of the mortar joints with a hammer and chisel. I'm using a half type a half type n mix, as I don't see the need to point in a lime putty albeit my house was built in 1909.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CarpenterSFO said:
Fair amount of work ahead of you. Do you have a very specific plan, or are you being flexible/seeing what happens?
Yes it is, I'm hoping to be done by March-April.

I am being flexible/ seeing what happens. I want to install a heated concrete floor and then apply an acid etch stain on it. Does anyone have experience installing the heated floor?

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Yes it is, I'm hoping to be done by March-April.

I am being flexible/ seeing what happens. I want to install a heated concrete floor and then apply an acid etch stain on it. Does anyone have experience installing the heated floor?
I sure recommend thinking about changing that approach - it's the classic way to go over-budget and over-schedule. Put together a complete, budgeted plan; if it's an income property, focus on cost and feasibility. Make a schedule, and stick as close to it as you can. The experience of managing the project properly will be far more valuable to you than the experience of working with any particular finish.

There are a bunch of threads on C.T. about radiant heating in the floor; there's lots of good information, including about insulating underneath.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
I love the foundation, all of our stone foundations look good for 2' on the outside then turn into a pile of rocks with sand shoved between them.

There ya go nick! Some weekend work for ya, seeing you have so much free time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jlsconstruction said:
I love the foundation, all of our stone foundations look good for 2' on the outside then turn into a pile of rocks with sand shoved between them. There ya go nick! Some weekend work for ya, seeing you have so much free time.
Thanks, I chipped off all of the ugly plaster and pressure washed it, just finished tuckpointing it today. After doing 6 different test patches I went with a white mortar joint.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Plumbing is in, back flow valve installed.

Waterproofing is on with 4in weeping tile connecting to a sump pump.

4 in of gravel down and graded.

2 in of ship lapped insulation with the seams tuck taped.

Today is rebar and running the hydronic heating, and tomorrow is concrete pour, hopefully I need to find a concrete finisher to make the floor look like glass, anyone know of anyone in toronto?

Attachments

·
Forming and Framing
6,273 Posts
Plumbing is in, back flow valve installed.

Waterproofing is on with 4in weeping tile connecting to a sump pump.

4 in of gravel down and graded.

2 in of ship lapped insulation with the seams tuck taped.

Today is rebar and running the hydronic heating, and tomorrow is concrete pour, hopefully I need to find a concrete finisher to make the floor look like glass, anyone know of anyone in toronto?
You don't have a finisher :eek:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
MTN REMODEL LLC said:
How come you want a glass level finish....Your not using any flooring at all?
No sir, I will be leaving the concrete exposed and then staining it with some sort of material ( to be determined, advice is more than welcomed)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts