Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No matter what one spends on equipment or hand/power tools...there's always ONE item that you'd be missing if you left home without it.

It's not the obvious drop cords, chargers for those battery users, wrecking bar or boom box...it's just that "Go To" tool that you never think about it until....you actually need it. Rarely need it very often...but cussin' yourself if you wind up without it when it would come in more handy that you ever thought it to be.

Just the tool/item or gadget if you want....or your rationale behind it having to keep it handy....even rarely used. But sho' nuff' the morning you leave it home and get to the job....you realize you're without; it's too far a ride back home to get it and back and you just find something else to do that day instead.

For me.....it's this magnet.

I snatched it up for $2.00 at an estate sale for a pal of mine that punched out from work about five years ago. He had the same terminal illness that I have....just think F.O. and leave off the G for Guy (which should get us past the censor). Foxtrot Oscar disease...it'll wear you down. So short cuts are in order.

The older I get that magnet comes in pretty handy. I was grateful for having this magnet clinging onto the side of my metal tool chest when I dropped a #2 phillips screwdriver bit that slid out of the DeWalt magnet adapter into my little DeWalt gyroscope screwdriver. The DeWalt adapter has lost it's appear to picking up things...or worse, holding onto 'em when I'm on a ladder....especially on a ladder over a planting bed. My ONLY#2 phillips in my van had launched out into space once it hit a rung and zinged off. However...I thought I caught a glimpse of it in a weedy little patch when it shuffled a weed stem while passing through.

I climbed down. Got my magnet loose...which ain't easy by the way....hitched a bit of rope to the handle and went fishing for that bit. In less than 10 minutes I'd snagged it and was back up on the ladder with a new magnetic adapter and finished up with a new connector. The hand grip magnet smacked back onto the tool chest and we all went home. This was yesterday and just brought about the great little gadget from my old pal (RIP) that made a real deal on it...posthumously.

The same use while doing ANY work...clearing a piece of old lumber full of nails; or pre-building a door frame...while set up on the driveway or worse, the turn-around at the garage doors where a FOD can be found with the pointy side showing to take out a tire. FOD hunts are fun and all....that's why I swing this magnet around me and especially where the driveway materials works up to the edge of the lawn or plant bed.

I'm sticking with this story.

What do you guys and gals keep on hand at all times?

Product Rectangle Gas Output device Gadget

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hard to pick one... Utility knife, tape measure, pry bar and hammer covers a lot of territory... :LOL:
It'll come to you when you least expect it. The magnet came to mind in my little story because I always think about what I'd be doing.... nose down in the grass and dirt... looking for my nails, screws, driver bits, etc. if I didn't have it on my tool chest.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you're still running the elderly drills with brushes...there's always that chuck key that fell out of that stupid soft rubber sling sliding up and down the cord. I should have a drawer full of the stupid things for 3/8 and 1/2 inch chucks after buying them over and over at a nearby ACE.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In the winter it's my freeze box. Caulk and glue that can't take the cold. It comes into the house with me every night starting late fall, and every year it takes two or three times left at home until I remember to leave my truck keys in that box so I CAN'T leave home without it.
Yup. Hard to crank up to leave without taking what you need. Smart!!

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
An extra hammer, I was replacing stairs to the 2nd floor above the stairs going to the basement. Knocked my hammer off into an open stair heard it slide down the drywall all the way to the bottom, had 3 hammers sitting at home. I now carry 4 in my van.

Might be one of those weird things somebody finds one day.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
The roll of contractor bags in the back of the box van. And blue towels.

Sometimes, after drinking too much coffee before going to the job, there is a point where there is not enough time to get back in the van and find a porta john. In fact, barely enough time, after feeling the urge, to line the garbage bucket with the bag before having to use it.

Gross, but true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The roll of contractor bags in the back of the box van. And blue towels.

Sometimes, after drinking too much coffee before going to the job, there is a point where there is not enough time to get back in the van and find a porta john. In fact, barely enough time, after feeling the urge, to line the garbage bucket with the bag before having to use it.

Gross, but true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's the way of this world. The five gallon pail down in the foundation. Never seemed to empty itself so if I was having "company" over to look at the house under way....my job was why the Indian culture (from India) would call me an "Untouchable."

Here...I'm a "Deplorable Untouchable".<G

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
An extra hammer, I was replacing stairs to the 2nd floor above the stairs going to the basement. Knocked my hammer off into an open stair heard it slide down the drywall all the way to the bottom, had 3 hammers sitting at home. I now carry 4 in my van.

Might be one of those weird things somebody finds one day.
If it one of those $200 Stilettos....you'd cut up some wall board...right?:rolleyes:

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
64,455 Posts
Could never say just one tool. Too many that you need everyday.

So I'll say my pencil, and hopefully it has some eraser left.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In the winter it's my freeze box. Caulk and glue that can't take the cold. It comes into the house with me every night starting late fall, and every year it takes two or three times left at home until I remember to leave my truck keys in that box so I CAN'T leave home without it.
Oh that's brilliant. I'm going to stay trying to remember to do that.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Could never say just one tool. Too many that you need everyday.

So I'll say my pencil, and hopefully it has some eraser left.
Ditto! You're either comfortable with something like a pencil...or you try to work handicapped by scribing with a finish nail or awl....which just ain't the same thing.

I buy these little add-ons to my hat...and there's always a pencil in it ready to go. But you're right...get to the job; set it all up with benches; stretch a cord and put out square, speed square and set my saw up and then.....no pencil. Framing crew will give you the hairy eyeball if you ask to borrow a pencil with a "I can't find mine." Who wants to nail rafters for a guy that can't keep his pencil on the job.

Face Smile Lip Chin Hairstyle

·
Registered
Custom
14,960 Posts
Ditto! You're either comfortable with something like a pencil...or you try to work handicapped by scribing with a finish nail or awl....which just ain't the same thing.

I buy these little add-ons to my hat...and there's always a pencil in it ready to go. But you're right...get to the job; set it all up with benches; stretch a cord and put out square, speed square and set my saw up and then.....no pencil. Framing crew will give you the hairy eyeball if you ask to borrow a pencil with a "I can't find mine." Who wants to nail rafters for a guy that can't keep his pencil on the job.

View attachment 521293
You look a lot younger than I expected in that pic... ;):whistle::LOL::ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 84 Posts