Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you guys do a roof, do you always remove an old mushroom vent with a new one?
The one i am seeing is in perfectly good working order. I imagine we could properly flash it.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I'm "assuming" you are talking about a box or turtle vent. I've never heard them called a mushroom vent. Anyway, vents are pretty cheap comparatively speaking.... why not just replace it with a new one? If you are talking about a turbine vent which does sort of resemble a mushroom, while they're a little more expensive, with the moving parts, I'd say it's even more important to replace them.

Kinda like re-using your oil filter when you change your oil. It just doesn't make sense not to do it. But, maybe that's just me. :blink:

·
The Dude
2,029 Posts
I think he's talking about a power vent, not a 750.

Highly-pathetically speaking you might be able to. The motor also might give out any time since it's probably been on there 20 years.

I think I pay $80 for them? Worth every penny and you can match it with the rest of the flashing you're replacing.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I think he's talking about a power vent, not a 750.

Highly-pathetically speaking you might be able to. The motor also might give out any time since it's probably been on there 20 years.

I think I pay $80 for them? Worth every penny and you can match it with the rest of the flashing you're replacing.

Power vent was my first thought too.

If so that is a must too replace. Not even a question.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
power said:
When you guys do a roof, do you always remove an old mushroom vent with a new one? The one i am seeing is in perfectly good working order. I imagine we could properly flash it.
Attic fan? If so chunk it, deck it and install soffit and ridge vent.

·
The Dude
2,029 Posts
Attic fan? If so chunk it, deck it and install soffit and ridge vent.
Soffit vents should hopefully already be there. Power fans need intake too. Sometimes it's a good idea to open it up more anyway.

I'm not a huge fan of passive ventilation.

Reactions: stombaugh85

·
The Dude
2,029 Posts
Oh, and it's faster to replace what's there than deck over and cut in ridge vents too.

·
The Dude
2,029 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts