Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just joined because I read some of the questions and replies and appreciated the accuracy and honesty of the comments.

I have been a wallpaper contractor for over 27 years - so I know something about the "solid foundation" of paint because I have to stick to it and rely on the paint remaining attached to the wall.

For the first time I hired someone to paint my own home's exterior. They did a great job- lots of prep etc., except for my two stairs and upper patio. These areas are magnesite and I had painted them with "Desert Brand" -alcohol based I think. It dried quickly to a hard finish.

I dont' think the new painter sanded the stairs/patio but did see them wash it off. I know there was no primer used before the one coat of Muralo Quick Tread. The can says "latex epoxy."

I live at the ocean, so it has been humid, but it has been one week- and still slightly tacky, so I've still got patio furnature in my living room.

Today I hosed off the back stairs and dried with a towel- guess what- the paint comes off. This is a big mess for me and an expensive mistake for the contractor.

The painter is comming in a couple of days to see what is going on. He says he did not add anything to the paint.

Any ideas? If I can wipe it off when I put water on it, is painting over it out of the question? I'm thinking it needs to be removed and redone completely- I'm not happy :cry:.

Looking forward to your comments for my paint issue and I'll answer any questions about wallpaper in So California!

Thanks,
Mark Savage

·
Registered
106 Posts
Latex Epoxy on magnesite?

Wouldn't be my 1st choice.
After it wouldn't dry and harden in the 3rd day, he should've been out there.

Magnesite is very tricky from what I've seen. Plus the fact that I live in Michigan, and your on the water in Cali.

Dont take my advice to heart, but I have seen oil bases hold pretty well to those surfaces. I have even heard of a couple of people who have successfully tried an epoxy coat, but as I said, we live in different regions.

The best hardening exterior latex I have used was an acrylic base latex, which may work the best.

I just don't see the long term advantages for using latex on a "sea-side" project. Just my opinion.

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Hello from a fellow paperhanger.
You mentioned you painted it yourself with an alcohol-based paint. I assume that was not recent?

I am not familiar with magnesite, but from searching the web, it appears to be a mineral that is crushed, compacted, and floated as a 1" or so layer over concrete? Is this what you are referring to?

From the sounds of the problem, I think the latex just isn't adhering to the alcohol base that you applied. You said the contractor washed it, but no primer. I would think that the whole layer of latex would have to be removed before proceeding. I sure as heck wouldn't try to put anything on top of a layer that is failing. If it can be removed successfully, I would try to top coat it with an aklyd primer, then an alkyd epoxy finish, or something comparable to that.

Good luck, let us know what happens.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply from Painter Josh and ProWallGuy.

My painter came by today and is going to remove all the latex epoxy. He agreed that there is no bond to the Hill Brothers Chemical "Desert Brand" paint I had applied five years ago to the magnesite. Yes, magnesite is a mineral surface and very tight and hard- but the main thing is that the sealer coat is lacquer based- and the latex evidently won't stick to it without a good proper primer.

While your suggestion of an aklyd primer, then an alkyd epoxy finish, would surely work, I've decided to have him apply the same Desert Brand lacquer as it will dry faster so I can use my patio again.

He'll be here next Wednesday. I'll let you know how it works out.

Magnesite info is at: http://www.hillbrothers.com

MESavage

1 - 4 of 4 Posts