Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of buying a multimaster and I know there are several competitors or knockoffs. What brands do you guys like or recommend and why and about what would you expect to pay for said tool? Thanks for the opinions.

·
Pro
670 Posts
The Fein has been around the longest and is probably the top end of this type of tool. The set up I have cost around $400. I think you can get the tool alone for a little under $300.

Bill

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
or for $300, you go to harbor freight and buy 7 of theirs. More than a lifetime supply!!
Trust me guys, the HF version is not bad at all!!

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,217 Posts
I wouldn't spend the money for a Fein, though it's a very good piece of equipment. The "knockoffs" haven't really stabilized yet since Fein's patent ran out, so it's hard to say who's going to come out on top.

I jumped in early with purchasing a Dremel, which many say is underpowered. That may be, but as my first venture into this type of tool, I'm blown away with how useful it is. I hear even Harbor Freight has one for about $40 or so that's at least as good if not better than the Dremel.

I'd think that right now a good price point would be $120-$150 for a high medium level tool.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
if your a quality type of person and earn money making specialty cuts like me and most others on here, then you know the MM theres no substitute!

if your a hobbiest,need to make a cut every now and then, or dont take pride in your tools then go with harbor frieght or dremel,!

i was once a non believer, until i saw one in action, now i wouldnt even let my closest family member borrow mine! and made them buy there own!

:notworthy:thumbup::notworthy

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,217 Posts
Gene, if you never had one, I promise that the first time you use it, you'll think you died and went to heaven. It's not that often that most of us need one, but when we do, we REALLY do. There's just no practical substitute.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
if your a hobbiest,need to make a cut every now and then, or dont take pride in your tools then go with harbor frieght or dremel,!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Well excuse me. I let my work do the talking and not the price of my tools.
Trust me, the MM has not got 250 worth of features that the HF has or the 200 of the dremel.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
if your a hobbiest,need to make a cut every now and then, or dont take pride in your tools then go with harbor frieght or dremel,!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Well excuse me. I let my work do the talking and not the price of my tools.
Trust me, the MM has not got 250 worth of features that the HF has or the 200 of the dremel.
Framer no offense!!:no:

i believe in buying the tools that are professional grade, and not replaceing tools after every cut, i bought the MM 2 yrs ago and it paid for it self on the first few tasks i was doing!
now im passed the cost and the cost of blades!! i just include new blades in my estimates!!

im more of a finish carpenter, and to me the MM is indespensible!

to me it has $250 worth of features, the scraper blade, cement scraper, sander with profiles, its one of the first tools i reach for when replaceing doors,windows, skins for cabs,notching,ETC

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
I have the Fein Supercut. It is absolutely awesome. Paid $1,000 Canadian. Worth every penny if you are in the reno business. Personally I would not but the Multi Master, although I am sure it is of equal quality, just not on the same level as the Supercut.

Would not even consider any of the new guys, they just got into it and will surely have problems to iron out.

For the pro, buy the Supercut, you won't regret it. :thumbup:

As an example - I had to add backband to about 17 doors. Thats 68 cuts through the baseboard. Used a 2x6 as a guide and cut the base out perfectly with the Fein. Took about 30 seconds per cut. Try that with your sawzall. No wall damage, no floor damage. Perfect fit. I LOVE THIS THING!!!!!!!!!

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,217 Posts
if your a hobbiest,need to make a cut every now and then, or dont take pride in your tools then go with harbor frieght or dremel,!
Have you actually used several different manufacturers' versions and done an apples to apples comparison?

I take no pride at all in my tools. I take pride in what I can do with them. That's the deciding factor for me. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Have you actually used several different manufacturers' versions and done an apples to apples comparison?

I take no pride at all in my tools. I take pride in what I can do with them. That's the deciding factor for me. :thumbsup:
No argument there. But what I can't stand is a tool not doing what it was designed to do - day in and day out. Consequently I don't buy the "cheap stuff" Just retired my Skill wormdrive after 40yrs. Naturaly, I went out and bought the Skill Magnesium pro. That is what I expect from tools, just don't think the more economical brands will survive.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
I just got the Rockwell.
So far, so good.
$120. but seems heftier than
the Dremel.
I have a long history with
the Rockwell name, so I
thought I'd give the new incarnation
the benefit of the doubt.
Sure made cutting lap siding
to weave in replacements
easier than it ever was. :clap:
If only it would pop the old
nails too. :laughing:

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,217 Posts
No argument there. But what I can't stand is a tool not doing what it was designed to do - day in and day out.
And no argument there, either. But on average, I see no real point in buying absolute top of the line stuff for field work. There are just too many ways for it to get abused, and quite often you are paying a premium for stain-grade tools to do paint-grade work, so to speak.

In many cases, you can buy and throw away 3 tools in 5 years for less than what a single 5-year tool costs. You just have to be aware of which cases those are.

And while a quality tool may last you for decades, there's always the consideration that new design/technology may come along in the interim to make the [often cheaper] upstarts more efficient than your old standby. The most obvious thing that comes to mind right off the bat is when sawzalls with orbital action and quick-change chucks supplanted the previous generation, which had neither.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts

i buy the best with customers money, who inturn expect the best when they hire a pro to come in and pull off cuts that their brother inlaws can not do with there dremels...SO TO SPEAK!

i chose to buy the best thats available at the time, and work it every day in the field,im not scared to spend money and then hide a tool in the garage!!

That tool goes to work with me every day and when i need it its there!
same with my truck, i could just as well pull up to a job site in a dodge caravan, the truck i pull up to on job sites, i could buy 10 caravans:laughing:!

even in JLC the guy from alaska even said, id hold out and buy a MM :thumbup:

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,217 Posts
i buy the best with customers money, who inturn expect the best when they hire a pro to come in and pull off cuts that their brother inlaws can not do with there dremels...SO TO SPEAK!
Umm... So the answer is no?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
There are just too many ways for it to get abused
Yeah, I have a few guys the constantly use my tools and they can destroy/loose $200 in bits alone before you could udder the words "multi master". Typically I have good stuff for myself, and my old stuff and cheapo stuff becomes the loaner tools for the guys.

I'm sick of being the only guy on CT w/o a freeking MM!

BTW is the supercut just more power?

·
I like Green things
23,069 Posts
The only thing I am sure of, is that MM can take quite a few fall's off of roofs, laders, top of vehicle, and still work like a champ.

I really dont think you can abuse a MM too much. Didn't someone say that copying something is the biggest form of flattery.

The MM is worth its weight in gold, hell platnum. It's the orginal, its the best. I just love that thing. Plus they make an insert to store it in a systainter, totally cool.

I know the MM can take the abuse, I know a lot of tools that can take the abuse, some just cant.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts