Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone kerdi membraned the walls before building the mud pan. I have a 7 x 4 steam shower with a couple stub walls. The ceiling will be membraned also. I was thinking it would be less wear and tear on the mud pan if i did it last. Any problems with doing that? I realize the kerdi band between the wall and floor would be over top of the wall membrane, but from what I understand it shouldn't make any difference. i've done dozens of showers but never a kerdi job.

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
angus242 said:
Kerdi-Band doesn't care which way you overlap it. Honor the 2" each way rule with Kerdi-Band and you're golden.
So I know they don't care, and I just did a shower where I had to do it that way for a long reason. Anyway, everything water related is always done with "shingling" so can I tell myself it's better to do that or does it really not matter at all?

·
Registered
247 Posts
This is helpful. I just started using Kerdi this year and love it but I've ran into that issue. I also always lean towards "shingling" but I had one that I had to overlap the other way.

So here is another question while we are talking about Kerdi. I don't Kerdi band the verticle walls I just apply the Kerdi horizontally and wrap it continuously from one end to the other. Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? I just see it as less seems and less cost in Kerdi band, plus it's flatter than adding the band in the corners. Thoughts?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Also I'm signed up for a two day Schleuter training seminar next month so I'm curious to find out what all i will learn. Anyone else been to one?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Stevarino said:
Also I'm signed up for a two day Schleuter training seminar next month so I'm curious to find out what all i will learn. Anyone else been to one?
You'll be fine... As long as you overlap it by two inches. I already took the two day course and one of the instructors did it that way.

Edit: he ran it vertically and overlapped the vertical corners

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
I was at one this month, I have installed their products before but I just wanted make sure I was doing it right.
You will get huge binder with all of their info, and get a hands on lesson on installing their products. And 2 free trowels, 3 profile rings

All for free, if traveling longer than 1 hr they will pay for your hotel/food

Their new heat system is pretty interesting, no more problems between with heat over or under mat or trying to get 2 mfr. to agree on same install procedure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts