Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old mud mixing drill (United Electric Co., ancient) shot the brushes and possibly the armeture so I was looking for suggestions for a replacement? Was looking at just a standard 1/2" drill to do the job. I also came across a new one made by Diablo, Diablotools.com has anyone used one, whats your thoughts???

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I have a Craftsman 1/2" triple reduction drill that turns 450 RPMs. You'll spin the bucket with yourself on top of it before you stop the drill. I used it to drill 3/4" holes through treated pilings with up to 14" diameter with a ship auger. It very closely resembles a B&D model from the same era. 20 years old.:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
10,670 Posts
I got that 20 year old B&D drill. Haven't used it a whole lot over the last 5 years or so. Got it out a couple months ago to mix some joint compound and the drill spun about 5 times and stopped spinning. Upon inspection later I discovered that the shaft had sheared off cleanly. Where I use to work, the drywall finishers used and abused these drills and now under very light use, I've destroyed it.

We actually used a cordless 1/2" drill to mix some thinset last week and it seemed to do ok.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I got that 20 year old B&D drill. Haven't used it a whole lot over the last 5 years or so. Got it out a couple months ago to mix some joint compound and the drill spun about 5 times and stopped spinning. Upon inspection later I discovered that the shaft had sheared off cleanly. Where I use to work, the drywall finishers used and abused these drills and now under very light use, I've destroyed it.

We actually used a cordless 1/2" drill to mix some thinset last week and it seemed to do ok.
I just went to the garage to see if I could find mine, as I haven't used it in about 8 years. I guess I should put it through the paces seeing that non-use is a form of abuse.:sad:

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I have a 20 year old makita 1/2 inch drill; its so beat up I don't care what kind of abuse I put it too. I've gone through many brushes, triggers and switches and the powercord as been replugged its now about 2 feet lol still works.

·
All ahead flank
64 Posts
I'll second loneframer. I use a triple-reduction older Porter Cable 1/2" drill, max rpm probably 700, that will out torque anything you put it up against. Bought it new several years ago and it's a beast, and because of this can't justify buying a separate mixing tool...yet.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I use an old Milwaukee Hole Hawg. It has enough torque to probably break your wrist. Low speed turns at 300 rmp so it is a beast. It is made like a tank and practical weighs as much as one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts