Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to go out and buy yet another computer just for goofing around on the web, I took the workstation off line due to the virus problems that I have been having.
The new one has WordPerfect 11 installed and it is giving me fits. What I would like to do is install the old MS Word, from a MS98 disk to the new machine that is running XP. I think that this is possible, I just don't want to screw up the new one in the attempt. I think that this has to be done in DOS commands and I'm not sure how to access them in XP. Actually, I'm not positive about 98 anymore. I think that it was f11 on start up. Help?

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Teetor,
It sounds like you have a recovery CD from your old machine. Tr putting it in the CD-ROM drive and open my computer and look at the CD. Look for a folder called Office and then look for a file called setup.exe. It might install that way. It might also be a recovery only CD that will only work as a full recovery. Something you do not want to do.
As for the legal ramifications if you care. The product your own for your old computer is not suppose to be installed on any other. Microsoft licensing is for the computer it was bought for.
If you can't install it and don't want to buy another copy try this software it is very much like Microsoft office and it is free.
http://www.openoffice.org/

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I always suggest anyone serious about their business to purchase a stand alone suite of Microsoft Office. Sure you are spending a chunk of money, but you have the entire product in your hot little hands, you have it on disk, ready to load anytime you want, on (don't tell Microsoft) any computer you want. In two years you purchase the update at the discounted update price. Then once again you have the entire product in your hot little hands, always and forever. You will always have the right version, totally updated and ready to go. All you have to do is feed cds into the computer of your choice.

The version that comes bundled with a computer is nice but your hands are always tied to that computer or God forbid you need to wipe the thing clean and start over, good luck getting it all back on.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Mike Finley said:
purchase a stand alone suite of Microsoft Office.
Good advice. The other thing to consider is that MS puts "background" internet programs in the apps, and on licensed PC's, that go out to the web and allow MS to see who's using stuff they shouldn't be. If you update your Win app regularly over the internet you probably don't want to be pirating Office.
I bought mine at about 1/2 the usual price when I came across a promotional "for students and teachers only" sale at Comp USA (don't tell anyone, OK?) It's a full feature version with all the bells and whistles.

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Just a FYI
Since Office XP and now Office 2003 there is Product Activation. This is meant to lock the suite to one computer. You will be playing with MS if you try to load it on another. MS has gotten pretty strick with this. Be very careful.
You should all try Open Office if the cost of MS product is too much. It is excellent software and fully compatable with MS Office products.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I have office 2003 and there isn't any such animal as, "Product Activation" other than the old serial number on the cd jewel case to enter, which I can enter as many times as I like on as many computers as I like, not that I would do that of course, not that I have done it already of course. If your copy has that, it is news to me.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the advise. My biggest problem has always been with OCR which is a Corel product and I had figured out how to make it work on the old 98 Word program. MS Works does not import graphics or sequence and my trial WordPerfect 11 is either defective or so limited as to not be an effective sales tool. Based on the trial version, I wouldn't buy it.
As to the transport of MS products, the way that I see it is that I paid for it and it belongs to me. As long as I keep it for the use for which it was intended (my personal use), I can do what I want with it.

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Interesting Mike,
At my day job I run the Engineering department for a computer manufacturer. One of my main duties is MS licensing and being in touch with how and how not to do things under our contracts with MS.
Product activation is part of Office 2003, look under help. There is another way to purchase Office from direct partners like Dell, Gateway, our company, and that is done using SLP media (CDs) and the load that comes on the system from the factory. But if you buy Office off the shelf Product Activation should be there.
Now I could be misled here because I spend so much time working with MS and their licensing rules, but I don't think so.
I would be interested, only personally, to know if I am wrong.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Paul, I was wrong, actually I have Office 2000. So disregard anything I said about Office 2003, I don't have any experience with it.

Paul how would this scenario work with the product activation you are describing: I buy it off the shelf (Office 2003) I load it on my office computer, I register it and activate it with Microsoft, then 2 months later my office computer takes a dump and I want to replace that computer, so I buy another one and throw out the old one. Now how do you put Office on the new computer if it has already been activated as you describe?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Mike Finley said:
how would this scenario work with the product activation you are describing: I buy it off the shelf (Office 2003) I load it on my office computer, I register it and activate it with Microsoft, then 2 months later my office computer takes a dump and I want to replace that computer, so I buy another one and throw out the old one. Now how do you put Office on the new computer if it has already been activated as you describe?
Mike, if it works anything like re-installing a Windows upgrade, when you try to put it on another machine you'll get a message that says it's already been loaded elsewhere and please contact MS customer service for assistance. This happened to me in much the same way you described when I upgraded to XP Pro on one PC, subsequently tossed the PC and tried to use the upgrade disc on another PC. When I contacted MS they asked what I was doing, I told them and they gave me some kind of key that allowed me to perform the installation.

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Mike and Rick,
If this happens the best way to deal with MS is explain there was a harware failure. And you had to rebuild the same computer.
One a copy is activated it cannot be re-activated without a call. The hardware in a system builds a checksum that is sent to the activateion center and when the product checks in it is compaired. Not a fool proof way but it does curb some piracy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts