Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two large jobs. One requires that I moveat least a ton of wall stone (up to 200 lbs) 80 feet up a 30% slope, the other will be at least two tons of flag 100 feet down a slightly less steep slope. The former is rough terrain, but no steps. The latter has steps on the lower half. I've used a hand truck on a rope to lower stone before, but it was very difficult to control and be safe. Anybody know of a cart or anything? I'm also thinking of using a motorized winch, but I still have to find something to put it on.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
LH Designs said:
I have two large jobs. One requires that I moveat least a ton of wall stone (up to 200 lbs) 80 feet up a 30% slope, the other will be at least two tons of flag 100 feet down a slightly less steep slope.
A ton at +/- 200# each isn't many stones. And the flag is what, about 100 pieces? Pickup a couple of illegal day laborers. They'll have that stuff moved and be wanting something else to do in 2 or 3 hours max. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Day laborers

PipeGuy said:
A ton at +/- 200# each isn't many stones. And the flag is what, about 100 pieces? Pickup a couple of illegal day laborers. They'll have that stuff moved and be wanting something else to do in 2 or 3 hours max. :Thumbs:
being a former RN, I can't, in good conscience, ask two people to lift 100# each. Even OSHA objects to that, and I can't guarantee that they won't be over 200#

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Hire a couple more, they work for $8.00 an hour.

·
Registered
269 Posts
LH Designs said:
being a former RN, I can't, in good conscience, ask two people to lift 100# each. Even OSHA objects to that, and I can't guarantee that they won't be over 200#

Not a big fan of OSHA, I quit roofing in the city when they came up with their personal tie down requirement, really a 3 point harness setup and individual tie off rope for every worker on 5-6/12 pitch roof is just creating additional trip hazards on a roof. If you're doing stone work & are worried about your people lifting 100# each, you're in the wrong biz. Just my opinions

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
LH Designs said:
being a former RN, I can't, in good conscience, ask two people to lift 100# each. Even OSHA objects to that....
Oh, really? I think you're mixed up on that. Maximum single lift weight limits are still 100% voluntary. Post the code section and prove me wrong.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Look this is not the place to flame OSHA. Code or not, lifting 100 or more lbs and carrying it on level ground, let alone carrying it up a 30% slope is not safe. the attitude seems to be these people are cheap, so they're expendable. If you treat your crew like that, then any business you're in is the wrong one.
Now, can anybody actually offer a possible solution, and this time let's not get hung on some arbitrary number like 200#. You buy a pallet of wall stone and the weights vary.

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
I don't think anyone was 'flaming' OSHA. Toting 100# is not out of the question for many jobs. In highschool, I worked at a truck dock. We were required to lift at least 150# by ourselves, and I'm not sure what the angle the ramp was, but it wasn't easy. I also tote 2 60# buckets of adhesive up steps, stairs, etc. quite a bit (and I ain't in highschool anymore :cheesygri ).

Seriously, I really don't have a solution to your problem. Maybe set up some sort of sled contraption that could be raised or lowered from a winch or pulley off a truck bumper.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I'm well into my 50's and can still put 80+lbs overhead. OSHA used to have some limit at 70#, can't remember what it was though.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
LH Designs said:
...the attitude seems to be these people are cheap, so they're expendable. If you treat your crew like that, then any business you're in is the wrong one.
pipeguy said:
Pickup a couple of illegal day laborers.
Sorry -I was being facetious. As I've said often in other posts, I would never hire illegals.
How 'bout a donkey and a cart?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Get one of those winches from HD, we use ours all the time. After pissing and moaning about the price I thought about it for about minute this way, what would happen if I or one of the guys working for me went out on a back or leg problem due to me being cheap about the price of a winch?

Think about that for a sec, I am quite sure most of you guys have the same "Health Bennies" for yourself as I have when you in business for yourself.

To me the less you have to carry, weight wise the better.

BJD

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, somebody who actually cares about his crew. Please tell me more about the winch. Electric? What do you anchor it to? I have somebody's backyard atthe top of this yard so can't but it on my bumper. Any idea on what to put the rock on to winch it up there?

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Do a google search for "Egyptian pyramids".

They built them by hand 5000 years ago. No machines, all with day labor. Your job is but a fly speck on the wall of history compared to the obstacles faced in that one.

Then do a google search for "simple machines"

Think "the incline plane" or "Lever" - a couple of cheap blue tarps, you can load a 200 lb stone on one, wrap it up and get three guys in the front to drag and one guy in the back with a metal bar to lever and brake.

The situation you are facing is not really that difficult. You have two choices: to purchase or rent something that is going to involve lots of time and money to set up safely and get to work effectively for a very short time or you can use muscle and simple machines.

4 guys should have no problems moving your stone. If the worst you have is a couple of 200 lb stones that is only 50 lbs apiece (it is actually more like 30lbs apiece if you use simple machine concepts). 4 guys is over kill, but if you want to make sure nobody breaks a sweat then get 4. I might just get a 8 to 1 purchase pulley and pull the thing up the hill myself with one hand while I drink a cold one with the other.

I'm curious how you are a professional designer or hardscaper and are facing such a simple problem for the first time.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You could bring in a backhoe to pull the stones up into a good position, then drop them into a bobcat, then load them off onto a pallet, put that pallet up onto a small ride behind cart with a forklift, attach that to a 4x4 ATV, move them up the hill.

You may have to get some heavier machinery or equipment if this doesn't cut it.

Or you could have two guys carry them and buy them lunch that day.

·
Registered
438 Posts
THe thing comes with about 6 feet of chain with hooks on them, we wrap it around trees or the truck frame whatever.

Or we use some sammie screws and bolt it into one of our rigs to pull pieces into the bed.

Other times we strap the boiler to a frig dolly and pull that up with the winch mounted to the cart.

The one we have has a remote that is about 20 feet long, so we really do not have to be close to the load when we are pulling.

See if you could use a snatch block and pull from another spot, that a little more secure.

BJD

And yes the crew has to come first, without them I would not be where I am today.

·
Registered
365 Posts
200 lbs and 4 guys? no big deal. We just carried a carved limestone mantle weighing about 700 lbs into a house with just 4 guys (and I'm nearly 60) and then set it with just 3 plus a jack and cribbing.

Make a sling from some webbing roll the stone onto the sling,, thread a couple of 2bys through for handles and pick the stone up and walk off with it. 4 guys -2 up front & 2 in back each having to pick up no more than 50 lbs waist high. Hire the help, they'll know how to move the material.
JVC

·
Registered
47 Posts
I used the TomR method. Pulling it like a tobogan filled with children (possibly only understood if you live where there is snow, or if you know about tobogans). Of course you will want to make sure that the stones stay on it, kids can hold on for themselves. I just moved about a tonne of Limestone up about a 10% incline, not all at once of course.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts