Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Don
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here does that?
whats the process involved where you live?
I see it being done here before, i seen the house giving away for free, they just have to get it moved.
how old and sturdy is strong enough to be moved ?

Just for my own curiosity, i highly doubt ill be going into the business

·
Registered
136 Posts
We had an old barn raised and the coming doing it was also house movers. When they showed up we thought it was going to be a problem because the barn was in really rough shape by my standards. They said it was in great shape compared to what they were used too. They said they can pretty much move any house no matter how bad it just requires some more steel and wood to shore it up.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
The complications never end. Generally it must be permitted and approved with current codes applying. That means new wiring, heating & a/c, plumbing, insulation, windows, doors, etc.

Probably needs a roof anyway, will probably require replacement siding and drywall work to replace damaged and failing plaster.

So, what exactly do you save? Framing? and at what cost?

·
Fairly new guy
108 Posts
This house was just moved a mile and half. The house was purchased for a grand and moved and reset for over $400,000. Pretty cool to watch the process.

Transport Property House Home Vehicle

House Property Road Transport Home

The generator on the side powered the drive wheels and would raise and lower the wheels to keep the house level. Look up Wolf house movers for more pics and info

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
Foxit said:
This house was just moved a mile and half. The house was purchased for a grand and moved and reset for over $400,000. Pretty cool to watch the process. The generator on the side powered the drive wheels and would raise and lower the wheels to keep the house level. Look up Wolf house movers for more pics and info
holy crap, that's amazing. Stone? It looks like the stone is still in good shape too.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,137 Posts
The advertisements for a free building, just move it many times are attempts to appease local authorities, who may not want to issue a demo permit without other options being explored first. There can also be objections to demo from community groups if the building has some significance to them. Other times, it's an attempt to avoid demo costs.

You can move anything, but the economics are a whole different story.

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
hdavis said:
The advertisements for a free building, just move it many times are attempts to appease local authorities, who may not want to issue a demo permit without other options being explored first. There can also be objections to demo from community groups if the building has some significance to them. Other times, it's an attempt to avoid demo costs. You can move anything, but the economics are a whole different story.
A few years ago I went to a seminar, I guess you could call it, on deconstruction as an alternative to demolition. If it works out right, the high cost of labor for deconstruction are offset by tax credits and write offs. It was sponsored by the Chicago rebuilding exchange and ken Ortiz who runs a deconstruction and salvage operation. I'd really like to see more materials salvaged and reused but the tight economics of the construction industry don't usually leave room for that option.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,137 Posts
A few years ago I went to a seminar, I guess you could call it, on deconstruction as an alternative to demolition. If it works out right, the high cost of labor for deconstruction are offset by tax credits and write offs. It was sponsored by the Chicago rebuilding exchange and ken Ortiz who runs a deconstruction and salvage operation. I'd really like to see more materials salvaged and reused but the tight economics of the construction industry don't usually leave room for that option.
Post and beam barns can work out, and sometimes old mill buildings. They can be very fast to take apart, with a lot of useable lumber and not much left for disposal.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,137 Posts
In that case, you'll need a team of oxen for every 30,000 lbs of house if it's wheeled or rollered. Canadian teams are generally better than US teams, so you're in the right place:thumbsup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
This house was just moved a mile and half. The house was purchased for a grand and moved and reset for over $400,000. Pretty cool to watch the process.
That is awesome! There are several historic areas in Maryland and I am curious how often stuff like this happens. It seems tricky and kind of dangerous, but as long as the person moving it does their job, all should go well! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
Remodel
31,137 Posts
That is awesome! There are several historic areas in Maryland and I am curious how often stuff like this happens. It seems tricky and kind of dangerous, but as long as the person moving it does their job, all should go well! Thanks for sharing!
It used to be done a lot. If someone wanted a new house, they might sell their existing to someone who moved it to a vacant lot close by. Others were moved miles by boat.

·
Registered
582 Posts
It used to be done a lot. If someone wanted a new house, they might sell their existing to someone who moved it to a vacant lot close by. Others were moved miles by boat.
In 1921, there were 65 houses moved from Penniman, Virginia (a DuPont WW1 munitions plant) to Norfolk, and they were all moved by barge (two houses per barge).

Amazing for 1921!

·
Read Only
16,993 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
Remodel
31,137 Posts
In 1921, there were 65 houses moved from Penniman, Virginia (a DuPont WW1 munitions plant) to Norfolk, and they were all moved by barge (two houses per barge).

Amazing for 1921!
There's one that was moved across a bay and up a river - maybe more than 20 miles somewhere around 1820. 2 story, roughly 1000 sqft per floor. Don't know if it was moved on a sledge when everything iced over, which was also common, or barged.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts