Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new house with well and septic. I'd like to move the basement bathroom but I'm not sure how to deal with the toilet. The cold water pipe is no issue, but do I have to jack hammer my floor to tie in the drain. I sure hope not. Maybe some sort of platform deal would do it. Can't imagine a platform not looking like some sort of rig job though.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've done this a few times. Yes, you do have to jack the slab, it's real fun. What I do is to fist score the slab with a concrete blade on an old circular saw. This helps to give a good edge after hammering the slab out making pouring the new cement easier and cleaner.

Don't forget the vent and slope.

Rich

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
no you don't

Rich T. On ask this old house just showed a new toliet that was designed for that specific application. Its a toliet that the waste doesn't go out the bottom instead there is like a like grinder in it kind of like a garbage disposal if you will and it grinds up the solid waste so you can pipe it out through like a regular pipe. I have never seen anything like it before. Sorry I can't offer you more information and company which manufacturers it. :Thumbs: He installed it in a basement so the guy wouldn't have to rip up the floor. It must also be said its not cheap I think he said about 900 dollars for toliet :Thumbs: You also have to plug it in to make grinder work.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glasshousebltr said:
Well thats a load of $hit........or maybe it isn't. Maybe it's more like one of those health shakes.

Bob

Yea I've read about that method and it scared the hell out of me. I really don't like the idea of grinding my waste then pumping it up and out. They call this up flushing I call it a bad idea. I may be totally wrong but it's just my gut impression. Some people say it smells most people say it's not the way they would prefer to flush the basement toilet.

Anybody want to discuss up flushing and if we should I should avoid it or not?

Rob

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
followup

After reading a few coments on my message I decide to do some serious investigating on ask this old house web site. Season 3 Episode 321 Installing a MACERATING TOLIET LET ME REPEAT A MACERATING TOLIET. Company who toliet was purchased from. www.saniflo.com :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Saniflo would be the unit I'd put in.

Now, what are you going to do about the old toilet location. Just plug with rubber expansion plug and forget it or a more permanent solution?

Be sure to follow the manufacturer's procedures on proper hookup on the discharge line where it ties into an existing drain line. You should also review your local plumbing code also for distances that are allowed with pump tie ins.

Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glasshousebltr said:
Save yourself a lot of money, bolt a blender to the floor.:cheesygri

Upflush....LOL.....Thats got to be my word for the day.

Bob
I like that idea. I have an old Kitchen Aid blender I could use.

Also with an old garbage disposer, water pump from a washing machine and some PVC pipe I could build a fine DIY upflush system.

There's something about the word upflush that does not seem right.

·
Registered
81 Posts
yea,
the upflush works great. I did a job a couple of years ago ,THE gc had put one in then nailed the base molding through the tank. other than that the homeowners were yery happy with the unit.
Dan

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Upflush could be used in a number of occasions.

Carpenter: he hangs it upflush.
Roofer: he nails it upflush.
Doctor:..........ah.....you get it.

Bob

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
good luck

Good luck jacking your floor up hope that concrete isn't to deep. Seeing how you guys feel my ideal was just a big joke. Do you really think ask this old house would risk its reputation by installing a device that didn't work?

·
Registered
438 Posts
747; I have seen these many times at our supply stores, they seem to be a little odd, however they seem to have a real nitch when it comes to had installations.

They also seem to be able to carry other fixtures with them, which can make or break a sale.

I checked the other day on a price for one, they said about 700.00 for the basic water closet unit.

I was thinking of maybe putting one in our shop area, I have a spot under the stairway that would work out nice for it.

BJD

·
Commercial construction
606 Posts
747 said:
Good luck jacking your floor up hope that concrete isn't to deep. Seeing how you guys feel my ideal was just a big joke. Do you really think ask this old house would risk its reputation by installing a device that didn't work?
I've installed quit a few of them. I don't like to pump anything if I can use gravity, but sometimes there is no other option than a pump. The upflush toilets work well, and the customers are happy with them. One word of caution though: A handy-wipe or any type of rag, if you know what I mean, will stop the pump cold. Fixing this problem is smelly beyond belief. I did one, that was my last. I'm not usually squeamish, but this job is beyond description.
Best regards,

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mikesewell said:
I've installed quit a few of them. I don't like to pump anything if I can use gravity, but sometimes there is no other option than a pump. The upflush toilets work well, and the customers are happy with them. One word of caution though: A handy-wipe or any type of rag, if you know what I mean, will stop the pump cold. Fixing this problem is smelly beyond belief. I did one, that was my last. I'm not usually squeamish, but this job is beyond description.
Best regards,
Enough said I'm getting out the jack hammer. I have two small kids and the chance of something ending up in the toilet between now and the time they move out is about 99.999% Also $700 is not cheap. My basement is all open right now and a couple hours of jack hammering is really not that bad when compared to removing a foreign object covered in raw feces YUK.

I guess it comes down to that I'm more afraid of raw feces than jack hammers.

·
Commercial construction
606 Posts
robertc65 said:
...I have two small kids and the chance of something ending up in the toilet between now and the time they move out is about 99.999%...
robertc65,
What also happens is that you forget to mention this little quirk to visiting house guests, or that they don't believe you; in which case they just shrug and say, "hmmm...I'll be damned..."

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Robertc65

I didn't know you had to small kids. You are definately correct get out the jack hammer. I would imagine a hotwheels car could stop that saniflo toliet cold if you no what I mean. Meaning kids will be kids :Thumbs: now could someone respond to my thread in the windows,siding,door forum its been sitting there for 2 days no response. : :cry:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hate to be the one busting bubbles here, but a sewer edjecter pump wont handle a match box car.

You would have to buy grinder pumps, which do get on the pricey side.

bjd

1 - 18 of 18 Posts