Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building about 20 2 panel shutters for the exterior of my clients home. They are strictly decorative and will not be functional. I figured on just using 2 or 4 stainless steel screws and flange washers to attach them to the clapboard siding.

Is there another way to do this that is better or uses hidden fasteners. I think they will be putting the "S" holders on for looks. Thanks.

·
hurtlocker
555 Posts
I have filled screw hole with decorative mushroom style wood plug(I dont know the technical lingo Im sure you know what i mean)
looked good they were still in last time i drove by (4 yrs)
one in each corner

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How's about back-side keyhole slots?? You can set the screws for a tight slide.
That was one of my forst thoughts, but I could see it being a real pain to adjust the screws on the clapboard siding. It is likely where I'll end up, I was hoping to find some fancy shmancy clip that would work easily.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
That was one of my forst thoughts, but I could see it being a real pain to adjust the screws on the clapboard siding. It is likely where I'll end up, I was hoping to find some fancy shmancy clip that would work easily.

Just use a straight (shutter-length) piece of wood the thickness of the screw-depth (or should I say 'projection'??) you want as a guide, - - it'll ride along the high's of the claps, and you can set your screws to go flush with it. (Drilling a few holes right in each end of the guide-board makes it easier and quicker to flush up the screws)

Such a (shutter-hanging) method also makes it easy later for simple removal when painting the house and/or shutters or whatever.

You can actually use a piece of plywood cut to the size of your largest shutter as a 'four-hole' guide-piece for screw locations (and work out the thickness of your plywood to be the same as your screw projection at the same time).

Then just keep cutting the same plywood template smaller for any smaller shutters as you go down the line.

·
Registered
738 Posts
easiest way
get some of the plastic pins that come with manufactored shutters. drill 1/4" hole through shutters into siding and insert pins.
they hold better than the screws that come with the shutters and dont strip out either.
6 pins per shutter

·
Registered
139 Posts
Get some GRK trim head screws. They come in lenghts from 1" - 6"+. I'm pretty sure they are exterior rated and will leave a very small hole that can be left alone, or filled.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Going to be pre-painted.

I think I am going to use the GRK trim screws, they have 3" screws that are gray, which is what the shutters will be painted.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Real life just sucks...don't it. :laughing:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts