Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Palisade Point Const.
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2001 F350, and I want to get rid of the broken stock radio that will change volume and turn on and off at random. I'm looking at upgrading to a touch screen navigation unit, and debating if I should get one with a fixed screen or a motorized screen. The motorized screen versions have bigger screens, full size sd cards instead of micro sd cards, and you can have the screen tilt for better viewing. I have also heard the theory that the screen covering the sd card and cd slot tends to reduce dust issues. On the other hand, the motorized mechanism looks like a lot of potential failure areas, particularly in a dusty/ dirty work truck. Has anyone had any of these stereos that can comment on reliability?

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
I bought a 2001 F350, and I want to get rid of the broken stock radio that will change volume and turn on and off at random. I'm looking at upgrading to a touch screen navigation unit, and debating if I should get one with a fixed screen or a motorized screen. The motorized screen versions have bigger screens, full size sd cards instead of micro sd cards, and you can have the screen tilt for better viewing. I have also heard the theory that the screen covering the sd card and cd slot tends to reduce dust issues. On the other hand, the motorized mechanism looks like a lot of potential failure areas, particularly in a dusty/ dirty work truck. Has anyone had any of these stereos that can comment on reliability?
I can give advice for them type in work trucks but in my old car in the UK I had the first kenwood that slid out and swung up into place. Def got abused as I had a PS2 connected to it and we used to play racing games on it and my mates used to knock the screen about a lot. Never had a problem with it. As long as your not dumping a bag of drywall dust on it you should be fine. If it was me I would go for a fixed screen unit. I have seen some very nice ones the last few months.

·
Tech Geek
2,636 Posts
Fixed screen, the motors and gears wear out on the motorized ones. I have one in my Denali that stays up because it wore out and hangs half way.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I had one of those motorized ones when I had my civic. Completely done up to the T. It gets in the way and will eventually have wear and tear. Also depending on how your vents are it might be blocking them or other controls. It's more of a hassle.

·
Palisade Point Const.
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For the record, I'm looking at double din stereos, so the screen doesn't need to move all the time, just when you change cd's or sd cards. I don't really use cd's any more, so the screen would rarely ever have to move.
I definitely wouldn't get the kind where the screen slides out and folds up. My grandparents had one of those, and it sucked even when it did work.

·
Registered
11,228 Posts
I was going to get one, but decided on a regular style Bluetooth single din stereo. The cost for actually getting all the bells and whistles, instead of just being blue tooth ready, or GPS ready or HD radio ready was too much. If it was affordable, it was a cheap brand.

I can run my phone GPS audio into the deck through Bluetooth and get directions that way while listening to music at the same time. It works for me, though I would like to watch pron while I drive. :whistling

·
Palisade Point Const.
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
warriorwithwood- which stereo do you have?

I'm considering these 4:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_66674_JVC-KW-NT810HDT.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_66675_JVC-KW-NT510HDT.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_65923_Kenwood-eXcelon-DNN990HD.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_65922_Kenwood-eXcelon-DNN770HD.html

Due to some deal searching, (which would require buying the most expensive one used in near new condition), I can get all of them for within $100 of each other.

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
I just bought the Avic-Z150BH and added the rear view camera option.

It's got all the bells and whistles, but since the truck is new, I should get some enjoyment out of it.

The Navteq maps are awesome - dead on with every address and it's a pleasure to use.

The screen does tilt up exposing the CD/DVD/SD slots - i think it's a good idea actually. Let's just hope it has some good engineering and lasts a long time.

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
I wouldn't recommend the flip outs.(single din) my old one alway needed pushed back in. I have the fixed style in my van . Still detachable face and full size sd. I love this stereo.

ForumRunner_20130625_064036.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts