Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed the oil in my genny and left the the old oil in an oil pan near my storage addition at my house. Well I forgot to get rid of it and someone (probably one of my offspring) kicked the pan splashing oil on the prime coat siding.

Should I just use an oil based primer so I can paint later(latex)? Or is there something out there that would work better? Honestly can't say I have run into this problem before. I have even done some work to a place where the guy had a 350 sitting on his living room floor. Oil on the floor but none on the walls.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
I'd scrub like hell, and then
CoverStain.....
But I can't wait to hear
from the experts.

Oh, thanks for letting me know
I'm not the only schlemiel here. :thumbsup:

Wow , spell check recognizes schlemiel!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Incase you're wondereing,

schle·miel also shle·miel (shl
)
n. Slang A habitual bungler; a dolt.

Further wondering,

bun·gle (b
l)
v. bun·gled, bun·gling, bun·gles
v.intr. To work or act ineptly or inefficiently.

v.tr. To handle badly; botch. See Synonyms at botch.

n. A clumsy or inept performance; a botch:

·
4,617 Posts
Well if its not 10W-30 you've really screwed up. That synthetic stuff is really expensive to deal with I suspect that using it now will just cause performance problems with your siding.

Fuel economy and the every popular cool factor will definitely suffer as a result. The old timers really swear by the straight weight oils, but I prefer the old standbys, like a good ol USA blended imported oil like a 10W-30.

:party: Sorry... I just had to be a butthead about this. I can't offer any helpful advise. In fact. I made up all the crap I posted above. I'm so ashamed. :blink:

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd scrub like hell, and then
CoverStain.....
But I can't wait to hear
from the experts.

Oh, thanks for letting me know
I'm not the only schlemiel here. :thumbsup:

Wow , spell check recognizes schlemiel!
Ya know the bad thing??......

The pan is still sitting there with oil in it. :whistling
Am I asking for it or what?

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well if its not 10W-30 you've really screwed up. That synthetic stuff is really expensive to deal with I suspect that using it now will just cause performance problems with your siding.

Fuel economy and the every popular cool factor will definitely suffer as a result. The old timers really swear by the straight weight oils, but I prefer the old standbys, like a good ol USA blended imported oil like a 10W-30.

:party: Sorry... I just had to be a butthead about this. I can't offer any helpful advise. In fact. I made up all the crap I posted above. I'm so ashamed. :blink:
:laughing:I could be mad......but joking about it makes me feel better!:w00t::laughing:

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Ya know the bad thing??......

The pan is still sitting there with oil in it. :whistling
Am I asking for it or what?
:clap::laughing::laughing:
Go for it! :laughing::laughing:

·
Painter/Rehaber
399 Posts
I think I would try scrubbing it down with TSP.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I would use Goff-off had a customer ask me about oil stain on her driveway that her brother in law left from his van, I told her to try goff-off she poured some on to cover the oil spot let it sit for a hour or so, then I took the hose and sprayed it off, the oil stain was gone, I would try some on a rag wipe it down.:thumbsup:

·
Store Owner
83 Posts
Tsp, or a heavy duty degreaser, powerwash and like stated above....BIN primer. It's a shellac based primer that should seal out the stain well. Might have to put the BIN primer on a couple times, but it will work.

*** on a side note, BIN is also a vapor barrier, I sell it for smoke damage jobs, it's also is great for cat piss. You can remove carpet, and stain kill the subfloor with it to eliminate the smell.....:eek: ***

1 - 16 of 16 Posts