Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Four years ago we built an addition consiting of a bedroom, office, bathroom. The original electrician wired each room on a separate breaker. Outside the bedroom there is an exterior motion sensor light. A year later the home owner said he wanted that light wired so that it could be on with a switch or work on motion sensor. Original electrician said he didn't have time so homeowner hired another electrician to do work. Now he says when the outside light is powered waiting for motion sensor to turn on light " if he turns on bathroom exhaust fan for a few minutes and turns it off the outside light comes on. His question to me is what did orignal sparky do wrong that this happen. I swear when we were finished all worked like it was designed. By the way the second electrician already said it was nothing he did wrong. Can someone tell me what might be the problem. thank for the help

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
60,309 Posts
Why would you blame the original electrician? If you rewired something you should have had to followed his existing wiring to tap into/off of it.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
13,324 Posts
Most motion sensors these days can be turned on manually by simply turning the switch off for about half a second, then on again.

You probably didn't even need to call an electrician other than to install the fixture.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Four years ago we built an addition consiting of a bedroom, office, bathroom. The original electrician wired each room on a separate breaker. Outside the bedroom there is an exterior motion sensor light. A year later the home owner said he wanted that light wired so that it could be on with a switch or work on motion sensor. Original electrician said he didn't have time so homeowner hired another electrician to do work. Now he says when the outside light is powered waiting for motion sensor to turn on light " if he turns on bathroom exhaust fan for a few minutes and turns it off the outside light comes on. His question to me is what did orignal sparky do wrong that this happen. I swear when we were finished all worked like it was designed. By the way the second electrician already said it was nothing he did wrong. Can someone tell me what might be the problem. thank for the help
It is probably getting a slight feed back on the neutral. And it is an overly sensitive motion detector.
I would chunk it & install a new one.

When HO request the light go on or off via switch. I install a 3 point switch down is on via motion detector off in the middle and up is on.
You have to run a three wire to the motion. And back feed it. It's a dry contactor so it does not hurt it. I do these all the time customers love them.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,651 Posts
Sounds like the sensor is picking up "noise" from the fan, obviously. If it's been working properly for four years, it's pretty hard to point a finger at the first electrician.

Perhaps electrician #2 supplied switched power to the light from the same circuit the fan is on, while previously it was powered by a different circuit? That would be quite legitimate, and no blame for either guy. But most definitely no blame should fall on the original electrician.

I'd be more inclined to suspect either the fan or the light of not having good enough transient suppression.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
13,324 Posts
.........When HO request the light go on or off via switch. I install a 3 point switch down is on via motion detector off in the middle and up is on.
You have to run a three wire to the motion. And back feed it. It's a dry contactor so it does not hurt it. I do these all the time customers love them.
I do the same thing, but use a SP switch for on/off, and a 3-way for auto/manual.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tinstaafl, would a separate ground for the exhaust fan be a solution for the problem? Thanks for your help.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,651 Posts
Tinstaafl, would a separate ground for the exhaust fan be a solution for the problem?
Conceivable, but I doubt it. Assuming both electricians did their work according to standard practice, I'd be inclined to start with a new motion detector. They're generally not very expensive at all, and I've seen a number of them get a little wonky after being in service for a few years.

Maybe just put up a standard light with a pullchain, and tie a watchdog to the chain? :jester:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts