Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Motion/IR sensors

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  mdshunk 
#1 ·
I'm on the web, trying to find the motion sensors that I'm looking for, and run into a plethora of sensors. Motions, infrared, staggering!
My big question is who uses these things? My biggest job was a $24M home and they didn't have any of this stuff. I've read of Bill Gates home and he has all of this and much more.
I like to think that I work the high-end market, but all of this is new to me.
I have an idea of how Gates home works but have never been able to access the details.

#2 ·
They have some really cool covert military sensors ive seen. Don't know where general public would purchase at. Also you would have to really want the best $$$$$ for that stuff. On one hand some you have to have night goggles on to see. Thats kinda of low tech but still high tech. The other you have to have a can of special spray to see the lines when system is activated. Thats high tech. Best guy for that stuff is ex military intelligence but still up to date or retired cia but still up to date. :Thumbs: or retired secret service who is now freelance body guard.

#3 ·
747, much of that stuff is generally available. My son buys Russian surplus all of the time, I'm still waiting to see something that is worth doodley.

The Soviets bluffed us and we fell for it, the Cold War.

There is much that I can't speak of but try and see the segment on the F/A 22 on the History Channel. Awsome aircraft, note the F/A-15 pilots reactions during the last 10 mins. of the program, priceless.

This is what the military is releasing, what are they NOT releasing? What happened to project Aurora? We know that it flies, where is it?

#5 ·
Most of motion and IR sensors are used in the security industry for intrusion sensing. Lately, with the International Energy Conservation Code being in force for commercial construction in much of the country, they are being put to other uses. One biggie is for adjusting lighting levels for "occupied" and "unoccupied" modes. You might notice newer construction having lighting occupancy sensors to adjust the lighting from 1/2 on to fully on when a person enters the room or hallway. Also, some HVAC control schemes are using occupancy sensors to adjust the heating or cooling setpoint for when a person enters a seldom used room or wing of a building.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.