Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Certified Remodeler
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had many oddball requests, but one I liked was the little old lady who called me and said, "I need you to cat proof my porch because the cats are going in there and making love", her exact words.

Needing the income and not being particularly concerned about frustrating a few horny cats I screened the bottom of the front porch and the old lady got some peace.

I have had other odd requests, and some I would or could not do, but the little old lady was a quick job and cash on the finish.

·
Banned
846 Posts
The socially responsible thing to do would have been to hold a sex education class for the cats and install a condom dispenser on the old ladys porch. All you did was make those horny cats someone elses problem. For shame sir.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Had a customer that i did alot of cabinet building and installing for. When it came time to install it was very important to her that everything was installed into studs. After i installed she would literally hang from every cabinet until she was confidant they would not budge:eek:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
48,740 Posts
Had a customer that i did alot of cabinet building and installing for. When it came time to install it was very important to her that everything was installed into studs. After i installed she would literally hang from every cabinet until she was confidant they would not budge:eek:
How else do you install them? As long as there are studs to install onto.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I had to get a code variance approved for a stair case...about 4" risers.

Big people, little steps.

Man that sucker was long!:eek:

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
How else do you install them? As long as there are studs to install onto.
Always into studs , the noteworthy part of the story was the hanging, even though the we hit studs , most cabinet bottoms are not rated to have a 130lb women hanging from it:whistling. G

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
48,740 Posts
On most of the box cabinets I have installed I would be terrified to hang from them. I would think you would just pull them apart. I wouldn't think twice about it on mine.

·
semi-skilled laborer
2,075 Posts
I had a guy who wanted me to make his walls feel as smooth as the hood of his car.
I also had a guy who orderd rough cut cedar for his deck spindles and rails, then changed his mind and had me sand it all smooth.
I had a guy with old cedar shake siding want me to somehow strip it good enough so he could stain it with toner, I told him I would have to take it all down so that I could get at the edges.
I had a GC who refused to sign a change work order because he added some exterior work to the project, he said he would pay my labor but since we already had interior paint in the colors needed that he wasnt going to buy any more paint.

·
Multi-tradesman defender
390 Posts
Doing a bathroom remodel, early 90's, glass block shower and stuff.
Husband comes to realize he cannot see his wife taking a shower (from the toilet) with the glass block. We removed the block and installed glass enclosure.

·
Certified Remodeler
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well if you want nookie here's one that made me wince.

Doing a custom mantle fireplace wall for a very large guy, looked like Rush Limbaugh does now. You know that feeling you get when someone is watching you. I got that feeling and a minute later this guy comes into the living room with only a towel around his ample girth singing "I feel pretty" from West Side story. :eek::shutup:

I told him it made me uncomfortable and asked him to leave. He did. Never mentioned it again, finished up later in the week, I mailed the final invoice and he mailed the final check. I never got a direct invite from a woman but met many who liked to flirt. I'm OK with a little flirting.(From a woman)

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
:laughing: yeah that sux Silver. I always heard from everyone I framed with about them putting up houses and having the next door lady sunbathing topless or putting on a show in the bathroom windows.. :( I never, not one time had that happen. Closest was when I was painting a house 3 yrs ago and the lady behind that house came out (mid 30's) and tight body fake bewbs and was sunbathing watching me work.. not topless :( but I guess still there.

·
semi-skilled laborer
2,075 Posts
had a broke mommie who wanted me to paint her kids' rooms for nookie.. I thought long and hard about it, but ended up turning her down.. I had to pay bills and decided I needed money more than nookie. :(
Its an even trade, nookie cost money, it dont matter if you have a hooker or a wife, you will always pay for it. I actually think the hookers are better because they tell you the price up front, with a wife or girlfriend you just have to keep spending and spending and hope you hit the right ammount.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts