Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just after finishing the chimney chase with cultured stone, a storm blew in and the hail and rain knocked off several stones and LOTS of mortar onto the new heritage shingles. Is there anything out there to remove this mortar or will we have to replace all the shingles which were under the chase?

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
Methinks I would try a LIGHT pressure wash then a LIGHT acid bath and rinse. The acis will neutralize the corrosive effects of the caustic mortar. Remember...LIGHT...like a diluted muriatic.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I may try a light pressure wash. I did try dish soap and TSP with scrub brush and water. It helped some, but since the shingles were only 1 month old and green, you can really tell it is still on them.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Can you tell from the roof or from the ground? :)

It might be cheaper and less time consuming for you to pay $150 to the roofer who put the roof on to replace the few shingles surrounding the roof and chalking it up to experience.

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
A diluted and rinsed acid bath will react with the caustic mortar and neutralize both. A good rinse will rid the surface of either. Aphalt is inert. So are the cerammic granules. I would worry more about pressure washer damage.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can see it pretty good as soon as you walk out onto the deck. It would be probably a square or two to replace them. This is my own house this time and I did the roof myself. Probably don't have much to loose by acid bathing them and if it does not work, go to the tear off and reshingle. It would have to be on the 12/12 part of the house too!!! Any good suggestions on a specific acid?

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I dunno I'd still be scared of introducing the acid to the asphalt. You say it's inert but I gotta think it'd do some kind of damage. I know the granuals are fine from the acid being that theya re ceramic and ceramics are used in laboratory items daily... I'd just repalce the shingles now since I have the feeling that's what's going to end up happening anyways.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Given the info, asphalt shingles, ceramic granules, acid should be fine. Muriatic (sulphuric) acid is perfect for dissolving the lime (basis of the stucco). I would use a 3-1 mix to start (the same for cleaning pool decks). Don't take your time, acids and bases tend to neutralize on contact as they react. Have a water hose on the job and use frequently, neutralized acid will have no affect on plants beneath, undiluted will. Dilute it as much as possible.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
"Muriatic (sulphuric) acid is perfect for dissolving the lime"

Muriatic acid is Hydrochloric, not sulphuric. Rich.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I stand corrected. Rich is right.
Neither should attack asphalt, old battery cases were made of the stuff.
Muriatic Is the stuff to use as in the previous post.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Teetorbilt said:
I stand corrected. Rich is right.
Neither should attack asphalt, old battery cases were made of the stuff.
Muriatic Is the stuff to use as in the previous post.

Great, now the tricky part. Will this Muriatic acid hurt the aluminum gutters and the log siding and stain which it will get onto also? It will also end up on the treated deck, but there is no seasler on it yet, so I assume it will be ok?

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Acid? Boo Hiss.

Replace the damaged shingles. I still think you are asking for trouble playing with the acid, regardless of the above posts... and rest assured I will be the jerk who says "I told you so." when you tell us the acid caused more harm than good.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Why not just wait 6-8 months for the stain to dissapear. Maybee not even that long. we cut reglet into alot of stucco walls and chimneys we normally cover shingles but sometimes things don't go real well and the dust then gets on the shingles gets wet and stains roof. normally 1-2 months go by and stain weathers out. I have also seen chimney builders leave stains and they normally weater out as well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am definately going to wait a couple of months until it cools down a bit to even try to reshingle, if necessary. Of course since the rain and hail which caused this problem it has not rained since then, almost a month ago.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
minnesota may have the best answer. Unless you really goobed the job, sun and rain should take care of it. How many people check out a roof anyway? They are generally trying not to get hit while looking for house numbers.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I know this was posted some time ago however I was wondering what the outcome was. I did a chimney job the other day and my costumer called me complaining of dried mortar on their asphalt shingles. Would the weather really take care of this after a couple of months?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
acid and shingles

the diluted muratic acid wont damage the shingles,if the shingles are wet down before the acid is applied.over the years i have never damaged shingles while acidizing chimmenys.
this should be the same procedure you would use while washing down a wall.also anytime there is concrete below where you are washing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts