Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I stole that line from 480, but hey, it's a good line.

I was at the electrical wholesaler a couple months back, and I wanted some 10-3 NM for a dryer circuit. Part would be concealed, and part run in surface conduit. The kid tells me, "You know, you can't put NM in pipe". I said, "Yes you can." He said, "Oh, I thought it gets too hot, or something." :rolleyes:

Then he tells me they don't have it in stock. He suggests I get a 500' roll of 10 THHN, and tape the ends red, white and green. I said, "That's a code violation." He goes, "Huh.:001_huh: People do it all the time."

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
I am assuming your referring to wire mold by "surface conduit"? I know my inspector will not allow NM in EMT. He would make me install a JB to run the NM into and then THHN through EMT to the box housing the receptacle. But, if i run UF or MC "depending on location" wire he lets it go being exposed and buried.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never had a problem with that here.

I would think an Inspectigator would have a hard time defending that position, unless it's a local ordinance.

NEC 334.15(b) and (c)

·
Electrical Punk...
571 Posts
I know, I stole that line from 480, but hey, it's a good line.

I was at the electrical wholesaler a couple months back, and I wanted some 10-3 NM for a dryer circuit. Part would be concealed, and part run in surface conduit. The kid tells me, "You know, you can't put NM in pipe". I said, "Yes you can." He said, "Oh, I thought it gets too hot, or something." :rolleyes:

Then he tells me they don't have it in stock. He suggests I get a 500' roll of 10 THHN, and tape the ends red, white and green. I said, "That's a code violation." He goes, "Huh.:001_huh: People do it all the time."
Man,,,they can't get good help at the supply-house these days..:no::laughing:

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,979 Posts
I am assuming your referring to wire mold by "surface conduit"....
"Surface conduit" means raceway installed on surface.

..... I know my inspector will not allow NM in EMT. He would make me install a JB to run the NM into and then THHN through EMT to the box housing the receptacle.......
What code reference has he given you for that?

But, if i run UF or MC "depending on location" wire he lets it go being exposed and buried.
Sounds like you have an inspector that likes to use "shirt pocket" rules and needs to be educated.

Reactions: Speedy Petey

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
I have to agree 480, but he is not the only inspector pushing this either. Not a local thing either that i know of. I am to the point now i just ask what they want to see and do it to keep on their good side and to keep the job rolling. Last thing i need is for an inspector to come in and bust my balls and nit pick every little detail. No one has time for that.

I gave a friend an estimate to install and underground service for a mobile home, typical 200amp with a disconnect. I estimated for an 8"X8" PT post with a meter on one side and the disconnect on the other. I also stated it would be more if i added a generator transfer switch in place of the disconnect. The customer opted for the mobile home installer to do the work instead of me so they would be dealing with only one contractor. Now they have asked me for an estimate for a stand by generator with a whole house transfer unit. So i go to the job and find the last contractor used PT 4"X4"s with only one 2X6 on top and one one the bottom to catch the meter socket.disconnect combo. 4"X4" are no longer code here so i could see where the inspector made them pad out one side of each 4"X4" with a 2"X4" and another side with a 2"X6" so it would now meet the mandatory 6"X6" requirements. I called the inspector up and asked him if he seriously let this go and he said yup, meets the requirements! So apparently padding lumber is stronger than one piece. Then i complained about the use of only 2 2"X6" for attachment points and for structure strength. I always use minimum of 5/4X6 or 2X6 and at least 5' high when installing a pedestal using 6X6's. These things weigh hundreds of pounds when finished, are very strong and look nice. These inspectors have complained about my use of stainless hardware in PT, not enough screws, screws too big, small gaps between the boards due to warpage, etc. This thing i called complaining about looked like hell, had no strength and IMO was cobbed together on the cheap and he let it go. But apparently it is up to them and what kind of day they are having to pass.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
But apparently it is up to them and what kind of day they are having to pass.
Pretty much!

I had one fail me for a 1/2" too far apart on a counter top SABC. Technically he was right, but geez!:rolleyes:

I installed a new GFCI right between the two in grounded GF. This was about 4 years ago so I hope the client has now found a use for the extra receptacle.:blink: This inspector is now gone.:thumbsup:

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,979 Posts
I have to agree 480, but he is not the only inspector pushing this either. Not a local thing either that i know of. I am to the point now i just ask what they want to see and do it to keep on their good side and to keep the job rolling. Last thing i need is for an inspector to come in and bust my balls and nit pick every little detail. No one has time for that....
If you feel you must cower and submit, then you have no balls for inspectors to bust.

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
But apparently it is up to them and what kind of day they are having to pass.
In NYS there is NO reason to put up with bullsh*t like this.
If the guy can't provide a logical applicable code reference just call a different inspection agency. They get the point pretty quick.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
The kid tells me, "You know, you can't put NM in pipe". I said, "Yes you can." He said, "Oh, I thought it gets too hot, or something." :rolleyes: He suggests I get a 500' roll of 10 THHN, and tape the ends red, white and green.
The people behind the counter belong there for a reason.. and I would guess that they get 90% of their knowledge from the manufacturers' sales reps.

The supply house is good for a lot of things. Advice is not one of them. ;)

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The people behind the counter belong there for a reason.. and I would guess that they get 90% of their knowledge from the manufacturers' sales reps.

The supply house is good for a lot of things. Advice is not one of them. ;)
Never asked for advice from a counterperson, except maybe about a specific product, like paint or something. Kid just starts busting this out. Why I thought it was funny.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In NYS there is NO reason to put up with bullsh*t like this.
If the guy can't provide a logical applicable code reference just call a different inspection agency. They get the point pretty quick.
How does that work? Are inspections in NYS performed by private companies, or do you mean call another jurisdiction? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
I just got dinged today on a weird one. Electrical inspection for 10 can lights in a basement and we are the GC replacing all the drywall, etc. (Pretty minor job)

Anyway the inspector wanted 2 existing coax cables run in ENT. I can't fathom the purpose of such a set up and I did actually check the local amendments for this county and it says "All low voltage shall be run in raceway approved by the AHJ", but no chart of what they want for which things.

480, Speedy, etc.??? Ever heard of this or can you see any reason for this? We're going back tomorrow morning to do this, but I'd at least like to know why I am doing it. Any ideas???? Remember we are also in NON romex land.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,979 Posts
Sounds like a throw-back to the 'Olde Days' when low-voltage systems needed to be quarantined from line voltage systems as they were very susceptible to picking up the 60-Hz hum.

·
Registered
13,370 Posts
Cook county? Orland, Tinley, Napperville, River Forest, Oak Park, Barrington, all have the same rule. They also have a rule for a conduit through the building envelope for the water meter sending unit.

They should allow smurf tube, but I'd check.

Why, you answered the question when you stated NON romex land. Conduit is the accepted practice.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
Cook county? Orland, Tinley, Napperville, River Forest, Oak Park, Barrington, all have the same rule. They also have a rule for a conduit through the building envelope for the water meter sending unit. Dupage County. Actually Naperville disallows it due to fumes during a fire

They should allow smurf tube, but I'd check. Inspector verbally requested smurf tube

Tom
I usually can figure out why a code or amendment is adopted since it actually serves a purpose of some sort. 480 probably is on the right track with the separation of line and low voltage.

Part of the agreement was that the HO was to sit on the permit inspections so I didn't have the chance to question it. Usually this works fine.

I'm just looking for what the purpose is for doing it this way. I can't think of any, but someone spent the time to add this in as a local amendment.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I usually can figure out why a code or amendment is adopted since it actually serves a purpose of some sort. 480 probably is on the right track with the separation of line and low voltage.

Part of the agreement was that the HO was to sit on the permit inspections so I didn't have the chance to question it. Usually this works fine.

I'm just looking for what the purpose is for doing it this way. I can't think of any, but someone spent the time to add this in as a local amendment.
Does the inspector care if it's ent or emt?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts