Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, now I need a table saw. I'm looking at the Ridgid portable ( R4516 ) it seems like a very nice saw, it's 100 bucks less than the DeWalt, and I see some good reviews. There is a Ridgid saw which is about 500 bucks and comes with a folding stand. The $500 one seems really sweet, but, another $200 bucks... hmmmm... any thoughts? Anyone use either - or better yet, both?

·
Registered
109 Posts
My boss has that table saw (and I get to use it :thumbsup:) It's a very nice saw for a portable. I like it more than the dewalt

Reactions: The Cali Ex-Pat

·
Registered
105 Posts
I like anything by scheppach in the sawing or planing department, just good gear. Once you have one, they just feel right.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
This was asked not to long ago.
I have the RIDGID and am very happy with it.
That was also the gerneral consensus aroud here.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
This was asked not to long ago.
I have the RIDGID and am very happy with it.
That was also the gerneral consensus aroud here.
I also have the Ridgid.The one with the folding stand.I really like it.
It's a bit heavy and tough to unload by myself but I suppose they all are.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
ramp door on the trailer, no problem to load/unload! :thumbsup:
I'll have to get a trailer first...:laughing:.But it will for sure have a ramp.

·
Pro
566 Posts
Popular WW just did a review of jobsite saws. Only problem is the Rigid did not get reviewed. Out of these five, Jet, Makita, Dewalt, Bosch, and Craftsman, the Bosch got the "Editors Choice". I have the Dewalt, but have used the Rigid and it has more power.

Bill

·
Professional Remodeler
2,289 Posts
I have one of the Ridgids from 5 or 6 years ago witht he folding/rolling stand. It is a workhorse for sure. It has been dragged through the mud at jobsites, rained on, used as a workbench, outside in freezing temperatures and snow/ice, has more than enough power for a portable saw, and even handles a dado blade well. The only problem I had with it was the screw mechanism that raises and lowers the blade rusted up once, mainly my fault. It was outside at a jobsite for a few weeks during the cold and damp spring weather with just a tarp over it.

I didn't think to keep the inards lubed up and the screw drive rusted from the moisture in the air. Took about an hour to take apart, clean up, and re-lube and reassemble, but has worked perfectly after that. And now a couple times a year I turn it over and blow everything out real good and lube all the moving/sliding parts up good and it has been working flawlessly ever since.

·
Registered
109 Posts
ramp door on the trailer, no problem to load/unload! :thumbsup:
The only downside to ramps is that the trailer isn't forklift loadable. You can always get a couple 2x6s and a couple motorcycle ramp kits and use that :thumbsup:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Damn you Home Depot! OK, I went to get the table saw today. I'm stoked, thinking I'm gonna get a great deal with the Ridgid sale going on. Think to myself the saw is usually $299, and with the discount it's gonna be about $275 or so -- not bad. Back story: I've been looking at this saw for months. My local HD hasn't had any for months - sold out. So about a month ago I drove to the next closest store -- not too far, about a half hour. The guy there told me "yeah, we've got tons of em". So I'm still thinking they'll have plenty today, and I'm headed over to get mine for only $275. I get there and there is no sign of the saw I want. I ask the guy, he says: "we discounted those to $199 about a week ago and they just flew outta' here". Would it have killed them to just give me a call???? Someone somewhere has my saw, and I'll find them... Ha Ha..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like anything by scheppach in the sawing or planing department, just good gear. Once you have one, they just feel right.
these look good, but they also look like they aren't available on this side of the pond!

·
Contractor
4,737 Posts
my bosch is very nice and has the gravity rise table (?). it's the perfect height for the box van-I roll it out to the box van deck, set the handle on the deck and lift the bottom and slide it in. Lot easier than lifting that beast straight up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts