Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had a front door entry at 42" wide with a 36" door and 8' long where would you start the 1st tile. To make it look right I would center the tile in the center of the front door. Or would you use the long base wall as your base line. In other words to look good but limit all the cuts.
I'm a wood guy. Thanks

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Robin, hard to say without a picture of the whole layout. Based on the limited info, find door center, lay tile dead center, break right and left, see what size pieces you end up with against each wall. Next find door center, lay grout line at center mark, break right then left, see what size pieces you end up with along each wall. If there is one wall that is hidden, like under baseboard heat, you can use the long wall as a full tile----IF it is PERFECTLY square to the front door, compromise is most often the case, good luck GMOD.

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,811 Posts
If you had a front door entry at 42" wide with a 36" door and 8' long where would you start the 1st tile. To make it look right I would center the tile in the center of the front door. Or would you use the long base wall as your base line. In other words to look good but limit all the cuts.
I'm a wood guy. Thanks
What's the format and pattern of the tile?

Cuts don't bother me, but skinny pieces do. Does it step into any closets?

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Tile size and pattern?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would make my cuts go along the wall and against the door so the tile that butts up to the opening of the room is a full tile, But that is asthetics and depends on size/pattern and what the ho is looking for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts