Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I signed up for another semester of classes. I'll be taking the Electrician Apprentice course 2 nights a week starting in September. I'm also taking HVAC courses 4 days a week starting in late August. This semester it's water heat systems, heating systems, basic electricity, and English composition.

It'll keep me busy during the off season, and really fill my days during September and Spring. I have a few offers on the table to help me get my required hours for apprenticeship.

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this, but I do enjoy taking the classes. Maybe when I'm done I'll start a Landscape, HVAC, and Electrical company. :thumbup:

Then again the instructor for the plumbing course has piqued my interest, maybe I'll take that next.

Eh, I'm having fun and that's what really counts. :thumbsup:

Plus the hotties at the Nursing College next door ain't bad.:clap:

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
I was going to go to school for electric, but then after they told me the length of schooling, and the apprenticeship I decided it's just easier to sub it out...

but good for you, what would you call this new venture?

·
Banned
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Bob's Lawn & Landscape & HVAC & Electrical & Plumbing"?

Hmm, doesn't quite roll off the tongue does it?

I love going to college. It's a lot of fun. Plus it's a great way to network.

The time requirement for a HVAC or Electrician Journeyman requirement is 4 years. Luckily Idaho is really laid back. What I'm doing is enrolling in both at the same time. I have a few HVAC & Electrical contractors that hire me as a sub under my Landscape Registration. Then they sign off that I did my 2000 hours required for that year.

·
I eat sawdust.
3,975 Posts
I was thinking of finishing my electrical engineering degree if I could save up enough money. Then I decided that I probably won't.

I may to the real estate course just for fun though. Cheap and short.

Going to school is a good break from going to work daily, but like anything it's not fun after a while and you miss going to work.

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
You should call it Bob's Landscaping & Mechanical...

Then put down the side of your truck...

That's Lawns, Electrical, & Plumbing too!

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
I was thinking of finishing my electrical engineering degree if I could save up enough money. Then I decided that I probably won't.

Going to school is a good break from going to work daily, but like anything it's not fun after a while and you miss going to work.

Saving is overrated just spend it all now, you can't take shiit with ya when you go anyway...:whistling

·
Banned
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wish I would have done all this 12 years ago. Back then if you wanted to be a Journeyman Electrician, Plumber, or HVAC all you needed was $20. That's what the license cost. No apprenticeship, no test, no insurance requirements. The good old days of contracting in Idaho.

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
what's up guys. I am in the electrical program at teh Jr. College close by. I do it during friday days fall spring semesters. I am both wanting to and not wanting to go back this next semester. I need to make some money soon.

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
what's up guys. I am in the electrical program at teh Jr. College close by. I do it during friday days fall spring semesters. I am both wanting to and not wanting to go back this next semester. I need to make some money soon.

Pick up a part time job somewhere, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to survive, I help one of my buddies plow snow in the winter to make extra money...whatever pays the bills...

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
Bob, is there hands-on training at the school you go to? I graduated from a vocational school not too long ago that didn't. Learning it from a book is one thing, and it's definitely important, but the hands-on is where it's at. Having that paper that says your qualified means a lot. Screw working for a living. :laughing:

·
Registered
134 Posts

Why don't you? I went back for my mechanical engineering degree.

Just take some classes starting at a community college. Two classes a week.

·
Banned
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In the classroom it's mostly hands on. The required book learning is done on your own time, and if you want to pass the class you need to hit the books 2 to 3 hours a night.

·
President of the world
2,668 Posts
Yesterday I signed up for another semester of classes. I'll be taking the Electrician Apprentice course 2 nights a week starting in September. I'm also taking HVAC courses 4 days a week starting in late August. This semester it's water heat systems, heating systems, basic electricity, and English composition.

It'll keep me busy during the off season, and really fill my days during September and Spring. I have a few offers on the table to help me get my required hours for apprenticeship.

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this, but I do enjoy taking the classes. Maybe when I'm done I'll start a Landscape, HVAC, and Electrical company. :thumbup:

Then again the instructor for the plumbing course has piqued my interest, maybe I'll take that next.

Eh, I'm having fun and that's what really counts. :thumbsup:

Plus the hotties at the Nursing College next door ain't bad.:clap:
good start... a few more trades and baby sitting , and you'll be ready to advertise on craigslist...:clap:

·
Banned
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
good start... a few more trades and baby sitting , and you'll be ready to advertise on craigslist...:clap:
My goal in life is to be a Craigslist handyman charging $20 an hour. I want my customers to call me "The Last Handyman". :thumbup:

·
Banned
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I tell ya what, I just hope there's a future in the trades. Considering all the time and money I'm putting into this. It's interesting and I enjoy it, but I would like a pay off somewhere down the road.

How could I make landscaping, electrical, and HVAC into one business?

Maybe get a general construction registration and then advertise landscaping, HVAC & electrical?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts