Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In central NJ, Toms river to be exact. How much should I be charging per square to rip off and install new 30yr timberline roofing. I know ther will be extras like ridge vent , dumpster, etc...?

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Pitch?, how many layers tear off?, dormers?, chimney(s)?, valleys? vent(s) type?

I'm coming up with right at 4600 bucks, not including disposal, for a simple 30 square ranch style.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I got around $5300 for the 30 year shingles at 30 square. That includes dumping, but not the vents, etc.

If you have questions regarding how much to estimate, I would recommend contacting several different insurance companies in the area and say you are a roofing trying to get the projected rates they use for apprasials (damage).

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
This is low compared to FL. My lowest bid for 22 sq. was $6700, 30 yr, architecturals.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Florida roofing :)
I was down in fort meyers on vacation recently. So much building to be done. Also so much damage from those damn hurricanes.

How difficult is it to get shingles down there right now?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Here, we are beginning to have roofers begging for work. Only 2-4 wks. out. I should have mine pretty soon after an 8 wk. wait but I'm going metal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jason said:
I got around $5300 for the 30 year shingles at 30 square. That includes dumping, but not the vents, etc.

If you have questions regarding how much to estimate, I would recommend contacting several different insurance companies in the area and say you are a roofing trying to get the projected rates they use for apprasials (damage).
Are you not in Nj?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mdshunk said:
To quote myself:

It makes a huge difference in the price.
I understand the extras make a huge difference in price. I'm looking for the price per square to charge for an easily walkable roof ripping off one layer, installing a 30yr architectual shingle. I will then add in the extra charge for cobra vents, chimney flashings, valleys, etc... All this is for jobs in central NJ

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Gotcha...

Tear off one layer labor 35-37 a square
Install labor... 75-80 a square
felt and flet labor... 6 - 8 a square
30 year archi material ... 125 a square

That's for my local area, which is darned close to your local market.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mdshunk said:
Gotcha...

Tear off one layer labor 35-37 a square
Install labor... 75-80 a square
felt and flet labor... 6 - 8 a square
30 year archi material ... 125 a square

That's for my local area, which is darned close to your local market.
Thank you mdshunk. When you say install labor 75-80 a square do you mean you would charge 125 a square + 75-80 a square to install a 30yr archi shingle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glasshousebltr said:
Man this is smelling like a wondering homeowner.

Bob
Actually it's a guy who could work circles around you with plenty of years of experience who has recently started his own business and has never had to deal with pricing. So unless you could help me with pricing or you need help from me with a job your on, I would suggest remembering that there was a time that even you didn't know everything. Thank you.
Now back to business, the question from my last post still stands?

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Glasshousebltr said:
Not to worry, Glasshouse. I'm famaliar with NewGuy from another site. He's legit, just short on knowledge on the business end. (and apparently is a little sensitive ;) )
NewGuy said:
When you say install labor 75-80 a square do you mean you would charge 125 a square + 75-80 a square to install a 30yr archi shingle.
Yep, among many other tidbits. Felt, ice&water shield, hip and ridge shingles, drip edge, boots, etc.

Where's Grumpy at, anyhow? He's the roof guy.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Grumpy's in love. It shouldn't last too long.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
mdshunk said:
Not to worry, Glasshouse. I'm famaliar with NewGuy from another site. He's legit, just short on knowledge on the business end. (and apparently is a little sensitive ;) )
Yep, among many other tidbits. Felt, ice&water shield, hip and ridge shingles, drip edge, boots, etc.

Where's Grumpy at, anyhow? He's the roof guy.
Got it! Now I know what to expect when these guys come to do my roof ;) Just kidden! It's tough starting out, and if I came off sensitive it's because I just saw the movie "Ghost" and even though I know whats gonna happen it gets me every time :cry: Thank You, mdshunk, glasshouse, now back to work.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Glasshousebltr said:

Bob

That's what I love about this site, - - give an answer, - - you're WRONG, - - ask a question, - - you're a HOMEOWNER!! :cheesygri

·
Registered
83 Posts
I pulled this from an insurance quote I had copied from a client:

Remove Asphalt 3 tab composition: UC: $40
Replace Asphalt 3 tab composition: UC $107.75
Replace Ridge Vent for composition: UC $5.17
Dump Fee: $13
Ice Shield $3LF

The insurance company quoted the project at costing $3500, we bid and received at $4200. The insurance company was willing to payout upto $4500.

The dump fee was much to low for the costs (almost $100 to low).

So these numbers are a bit low. I am in the Midwest. Iowa to be specific.

Again, it would not hurt at all to get the figures from local insurance companies. I'm sure they are more than willing to hand out figures. Just remember they will give out lower figures than what they will ultimately pay out. Like I stated above, they estimated the job at $3500-4500. The figures above reflect the $3500 price.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts