Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a market anymore for unfinished hardwood ?

Ive heard that there isn't a market for unfinished hardwood floors, and that most contractors and homeowners would rather purchase a prefinished hardwood ?

Are unfinished hardwoods worth investing in ?
Do people just not want to go through the hassle of staining and finishing themselves ? Or is it because the labor cost can add up ?

It seems that prefinished is the only option now days.. no more old fashioned unfinished hardwood huh ?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Enough

I was not bother to reply to you,but this type of questions shows that you are out of this industry, NWFA publishes all the products shipped prefinished/unfinished (and all other data) quarterly.Please do not post anything without research.:shutup:

·
Super Moderator
11,929 Posts
If you are talking about the same crap I am thinking about ie Pergo, engineered flooring and other like products, my experience has been that they scratch VERY easily and cannot be repaired...only replaced. They also seem to have dye lots, which makes flawless repairs almost impossible.

If I am not talking about the same thing, punish me.

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
WOW

RS, you are punished! :laughing:

He's talking about unfinished hardwood that gets installed, sanded, stained and sealed. That's the way we like to sell flooring, especially for kitchens. Folks seem to like it better than prefinished for the fact the floor (and seams) gets sealed so less likely to have crud fall in the beveled edges like on a prefinished. Also, when you sand/stain, easier to get the customer a color they want or that compliments other wood stains in their house.

and I love everybody, so don't yell at me Jimmy! :thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
11,929 Posts
jimmy wonton, have you a found product that is more durable after a couple of years that is prefinished?

For new contruction it's fine and looks great for awhile, but it doesn't seem to hold up very well.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
invest in bamboo flooring. very sustainable. priced right.dont worry.

astor is uptight. seems uppidy. you may ask. everyone here is welcome and should be friendly!

do you own contractortalk astor? if not shut and zip it!

as to question i am concrete contractor but have experience in other field. prefinish save money in installation time and this is valuable to consumer!me wonder why you buy unfinished floor product! make no sense. unless doing new construction homes and get rock bottom pricing!

make no sense.jimmy
Mr,Wonton,
I am pretty friendly, but this forum is only for professionals, there is a sister forum for DIY http://www.diychatroom.com/, in there any question is welcomed,but here is not a place to ask any question that comes in your mind.Any wood flooring professional -as he claims- can get NWFA's HARDWOOD FLOORS MAGAZINE which is free and have these reports as well as online at NWFA site.
O/P had opened prior posts before and if you check you can understand why I reply that way.And probably he knows why.
Unfinished vs prefinished is a battle that lasts forever.If you cater clients like me you can understand why I use unfinished flooring for upscale jobs.BTW I also install prefinished because I gotta make living and keep my employees busy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Astor,
I would suggest you take a break, this should be a place to ask questions to peers and professionals the same as you would over a cup of coffee. Who wants the opinions of DIY??

·
Flooring Installer
796 Posts
When people realize how much better site fininshed holds up to moisture than engineered, maybe lam-crap will go away.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Lam-crap will always have a market for those who want to flip a house or are cheapo's. I'm doing quite well milling flooring right now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts