Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am in this frustrating situation. This is the first house I am framing for this builder. It's a cookie cutter type house so the lot sizes are pretty small to begin with.

We just started this house Monday afternoon. And I already have everything minus the roof trusses and the windows/doors. When we first got there it seems as though we would have more space than we actually do. Reason being that there was an empty lot beside us that wasn't staked out so we thought we had some time. We had the delivery truck drop a few load of material in the front corner of the lot next to us. 2 hours later the survey guys come and were able to get what they needed without us moving the material we just dropped.

The excavator came the next day (Wednesday) but said he'd be back Thursday to dig. So we moved all out material that was in his way and haven't seen him since. We keep getting delivery trucks dropping material off and we really have no space.

Is this common? I'm going to ask the super if there is a way to avoid this in the future.
 

·
Pro
Joined
·
183 Posts
When framing I control all scheduling and delivery of materials, I have the name and number of the lumber yard salesman who the General Contractor works with, and that salesman and I have an understanding that nothing comes to my job site (and when I'm framing, it is my job site) unless I release it.
Saves some unnecessary labor moving stuff, and everybody's happy
:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
594 Posts
402joel said:
When framing I control all scheduling and delivery of materials, I have the name and number of the lumber yard salesman who the General Contractor works with, and that salesman and I have an understanding that nothing comes to my job site (and when I'm framing, it is my job site) unless I release it.
Saves some unnecessary labor moving stuff, and everybody's happy
:thumbsup:
Ditto
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,572 Posts
When framing I control all scheduling and delivery of materials, I have the name and number of the lumber yard salesman who the General Contractor works with, and that salesman and I have an understanding that nothing comes to my job site (and when I'm framing, it is my job site) unless I release it.
Saves some unnecessary labor moving stuff, and everybody's happy
:thumbsup:
Plus it takes the responsibility off the GC. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Custom
Joined
·
13,752 Posts
Get moving on the install... More product you put in place, the more room you have...
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
29,246 Posts
When framing I control all scheduling and delivery of materials, I have the name and number of the lumber yard salesman who the General Contractor works with, and that salesman and I have an understanding that nothing comes to my job site (and when I'm framing, it is my job site) unless I release it.
Saves some unnecessary labor moving stuff, and everybody's happy
:thumbsup:
We do our own framing, but when I worked for another GC, that'show he did it.
 

·
Registered
Custom
Joined
·
13,752 Posts
No comment.
From what you've described, not much you can do now except exactly that... Deliveries are already there, and project is underway... you don't have control of the schedule or the communication, so move forward...
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,709 Posts
Did you just assume that using the other lot would be ok? Even if he didn't start the house, the owner may not want trucks, equipment and material on his property. I too do all of my ordering. We started a house 3 weeks ago, and the GC has yet to come out. I only have myself to blame when the lot gets too congested.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Warren said:
Did you just assume that using the other lot would be ok? Even if he didn't start the house, the owner may not want trucks, equipment and material on his property. I too do all of my ordering. We started a house 3 weeks ago, and the GC has yet to come out. I only have myself to blame when the lot gets too congested.
It was less of an assumption and more of an obligation with all the material we were getting. GC hasn't asked at all about when I wanted material. We showed up with our floor package which was great and everyday since something else has come.

With a generator on site too it doesn't make it any better. I'm going to tell him tomorrow that in the future I don't want this happening again.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,709 Posts
It was less of an assumption and more of an obligation with all the material we were getting. GC hasn't asked at all about when I wanted material. We showed up with our floor package which was great and everyday since something else has come.

With a generator on site too it doesn't make it any better. I'm going to tell him tomorrow that in the future I don't want this happening again.
The generator is another sign of disorganization. As soon as the lot is staked, I am asking about the power, the lumber/salesman, and the window order. There are times where we have started with a generator for a day or two when the foundation guys were in and out quickly, but it something that I am all over before we ever start.

I know you said this was for a new GC, so I am not trying to beat you up too bad, but you have to look out for number one. I did one job for a GC many years ago who preferred to deal with the lumber company directly. Some people are weird about giving up that "control" but soon they realize that having me deal with it helps both of us.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
I usually try to do all my own take offs, more or less just to make sure we always have what we need....on tight lots, I'll have deliverys every 1-2 days
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
852 Posts
Oh the benefits of having a telehandler.
How much volume do you do with this builder or lumber company? I've had lumber companies send a truck with a moffit (small forklift on back of truck) when my machine is not on site to move our material. Granted we probably do just my crew alone 150+k with one sales rep. Trucks are in the area a lot anyhow. We rarely don't have a truck a day that all being said.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Warren said:
The generator is another sign of disorganization. As soon as the lot is staked, I am asking about the power, the lumber/salesman, and the window order. There are times where we have started with a generator for a day or two when the foundation guys were in and out quickly, but it something that I am all over before we ever start. I know you said this was for a new GC, so I am not trying to beat you up too bad, but you have to look out for number one. I did one job for a GC many years ago who preferred to deal with the lumber company directly. Some people are weird about giving up that "control" but soon they realize that having me deal with it helps both of us.
Yeah I think the site super is pretty new to this whole thing. Having the suppliers numbers is a good idea I'm going to ask for them tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,709 Posts
Oh the benefits of having a telehandler.
How much volume do you do with this builder or lumber company? I've had lumber companies send a truck with a moffit (small forklift on back of truck) when my machine is not on site to move our material. Granted we probably do just my crew alone 150+k with one sales rep. Trucks are in the area a lot anyhow. We rarely don't have a truck a day that all being said.
Oh how I am enjoying mine!! We just had it shipped to our out of town job on Thursday. We started the job 2 weeks prior without it, and it makes such a difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
852 Posts
Warren said:
Oh how I am enjoying mine!! We just had it shipped to our out of town job on Thursday. We started the job 2 weeks prior without it, and it makes such a difference.
Where are the action shots of the new toy?
 

·
Thom
Joined
·
4,137 Posts
My last subdivision had lots with 5' sideyards, 15' backyards, 15' - 20' front yards.

We had a porto on the lot, along with anything and everything else needed.

Temp electric pole gets installed and hooked up prior to any worker being on site. Porto is there before workers.

Materials stayed on site. Framing materials were delivered early every morning then installed that day. Windows and exterior doors were installed when they were delivered. The trusses were delivered when needed. Trash was stacked on the side of the front neatly, paper trash went into trash cans. A dumpster was set in the front yard after the sheetrock was stocked but prior to rockers finishing hanging.

Getting materials when needed is just a matter of scheduling. I did the take-off, not the lumberyard and I did it by 1 day segments. The lumberyard had the proper bundles for the day.

Having extra materials on site is a recipe for loss. Stuff will be stolen and damaged. Kids will play with the stuff and get injured.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,709 Posts
Where are the action shots of the new toy?
Too busy playing with it to get off and take pics. Set 3 beams that were 700 ponds plus, lifted a whole bunk of 2x6x9 studs to second floor. Lifted all the Advantech and the zip wall for second floor. All of this and other misc in the last three days. One of my guys welded up a 10" I beam extension but we haven't used that yet.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top