Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see Makita is on the table.. good because here is my problem..
Has Makita fixed the 1.5ah lithium batts yet..??? I see on other forums that even comments made in the last month are still blowing out the cheap batts that come with the 18v.
If they havent fixed this yet after 2-3 years ..DONT buy any Makita. THis is fnn
ridiculous... if they want to be considered like B+D, they are well on their way...
anyone heard the scoop..??

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I see Makita is on the table.. good because here is my problem..
Has Makita fixed the 1.5ah lithium batts yet..??? I see on other forums that even comments made in the last month are still blowing out the cheap batts that come with the 18v.
If they havent fixed this yet after 2-3 years ..DONT buy any Makita. THis is fnn
ridiculous... if they want to be considered like B+D, they are well on their way...
anyone heard the scoop..??

Do you know anything about cell tech in cordless tools? The reason i ask is because someone who does would know that the 1.5ah cells are not desinged for heavy use and def not for contractors using them day in day out. The reason is because they cant supply the needed current for heavy duty work. Even a 3.0ah cell would get hot under the same heavy duty use. The cells in the battery need to supply a lot of current when the drill is being used under stress. Most of these 18v drills will have no problem pulling 30-50amps from these cells and thats what make them heat up. A 1.5ah cell can only supply about 15amps if they are a good quality cell and when being used in tools that pull more than that they wont last very long. Basicly the cells are being over worked. They are fine for a home owner doing a small job here and there but not designed for abuse like the 3.0ah cells are. But even they will get very hot under stress. Heat kills cells and thats another reason dewalt cells never last very long as they are only 2.4ah cells. Even the new litium nano cells they use are only 2.4ah and are easyly over worked with the 18v drills.

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts

·
Aussie in Norway
242 Posts
I don't get why people buy cordless when they want the power of a corded tool. If you are doing heavy work and are within generator distance, run an extension lead and use a corded tool. If not, buy somthing heavy enough to get the job done. People want to get out of paying the money for the tools designed for the job and then they can't understand why they are replacing batteries every time. It's a false economy.

I have had this same conversation with my brother. He has always laughed at me for running extension leads while he has used cordless. Yes, he might be slightly faster at the beginning but once the tool gets going it out performs the cordless. He has replaced his cordless drill 3 times while I am still using my same metabo drill.

Get the right tool for the job or you will be losing money.

samthedog.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts