Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove by this last week. It had just been completed. My wife wouldn't let me stop to take a photo. I could tell it wasn't going to last long, but I thought it could possibly make it to 1st freeze. Nope, just about a week.

Oh, and hey look. The other end collapsed.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
I guess if you run out of mortar, you can't add water to make it go further like you can with a bottle of ketchup.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I know a few 'stonemasons' that build walls like that. Get all kinds of work in one area then move in because all their garbage is toppling over. One if them started building with shovelfuls of mortar to hold the mess altogether. All of them have the same thing in common....ridiculously liw sqft or running ft prices.

You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Cavity wall?

I tore one apart that did something similar a few years ago. The boneheads made it look pretty on the outside, but it was basically just filled with gravel.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Yeah...a bunch of round stones with the narrow part in the wall...sound building practise.

I particularly like the bowling ball on top ready to roll down and crush someones skull

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Do you guys have a lot of cobbles in your area?

The Adirondacks are loaded with them, but come down my way and its all shale, bluestone and field stone, the stuff is awesome to work with.

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
Feel for me! It seems like nobody cares anymore!

It's all about price and time! BUT...After the dust settles and they see what a cluster they have ....I get a phone call asking for advice. :whistling

·
Registered
667 Posts
I drove by this last week. It had just been completed. My wife wouldn't let me stop to take a photo. I could tell it wasn't going to last long, but I thought it could possibly make it to 1st freeze. Nope, just about a week.

Oh, and hey look. The other end collapsed.
I have a question for you? It appears that both photos were taken from the same spot, seeing the body shop?? whatever in the left back-round. With that being said, looks like MORE stones fell??? DID ya have anything to do with that? LOL

GOOD work is hard to find, AND worth every dime spent!

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Went by today and had to stop. They "rebuilt" it. There was a lot of construction going on so I didn't park. Just stopped to snap a couple pics. I think they filled the center with mud this time......it's still going to fall down agian.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts