Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Money Changer
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one boggles my mind.

The local municipality is requiring the following in a finished basement:

In each room there must be a 6" rigid duct from the interior of the room to the outside of the building. On this duct there must be a barometric damper within 12" of the point where it exits the house and include a provision to exclude rain, birds.

There must ALSO be an additional 6" duct run from the interior of the room to the exterior of the dwelling into which a min 50 cfm exhaust fan is installed and wired directly into the light circuit. This must occur in each room without any windows to the exterior.

So understand, there are two ducts running from interior to exterior, one has an exhaust fan and one only a baro. damper.

This sounds like the dumbest system in all my experience in building. How in the hell is the customer supposed to prevent the warm air in the winter from being blown directly outside while at the same time sucking the cold outside air into the room and visa versa in the summertime?

Am I missing something here?

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,394 Posts
They don't care what it costs the HO to have it there. They just want to make sure any fumes that can be possible generated by a furnace will be equalized and replaced with new fresh air. One of the safety things.

It is still BS, but some moron died because of it and now there is a new law.

·
Money Changer
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bert, where is this at?
It's a job I'm helping a contractor friend out on. I think its Northampton Twp.
Address is Churchville PA

It just seems idiotic that they will be blowing out the warm air while at the same time sucking in cold air.

·
Money Changer
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They don't care what it costs the HO to have it there. They just want to make sure any fumes that can be possible generated by a furnace will be equalized and replaced with new fresh air. One of the safety things.

It is still BS, but some moron died because of it and now there is a new law.
Ok, but my argument to them would be how does that apply to the rooms with windows you DON'T require this 'system' in if the occupant DOESN'T OPEN THE WINDOW?

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,394 Posts
It's a government entity. What kind of logic were you expecting?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts